New here

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Bendel

Reaction score
Hello all. Traded in my Scion tC and purchased an '05 Sport Trac XLT yesterday and just had a couple ?'s. I would use the search option but this message board has a different look then the others I normally post on. I'll get the hang of it eventually. First, what is a cheap, durable bed cover you reccomend? I like the look of the soft covers better, the one's that dont really stick out much. Second, while accelerating in 1st and 2nd there is a whining noise. It gets louder in the higher RPM's but seems to stop once it hits 3rd. Is this normal or could it develop into something else? Third, being that it's stock it has tiny wheels/tires and kind of looks rediculous compared to peoples cars on here. There is a member here, Bill Astin, (he has a project in the interior department "Sport Trac Rolling Office") who has the wheels I want but can't seem to find what kind they are. Any clue what kind they are??? Last but not least, sometime in the future I would like to add an exhaust system (Flowmaster probably). What set ups do those of you have on here that you like that isn't too loud in the cabin but sounds good when getting on it???? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

The rims you are looking at are Crager rims according to the ST of the Week page. Not sure which model they are.

Scions are nice. Highly rated. Though I'm glad to see you with a vehicle that is what this site is all about. WELCOME ABOARD! :D

Welcome...

The whining noise you have in 1st & 2nd gear is a known issue, there is a TSB for it, it is basically harmless, it won't go away.

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: FORD

Model: EXPLORER SPORT TRAC

Year: 2003

Type: ANY

Service Bulletin Number: 02222

NHTSA Item Number: 10008305

Summary Description:

NOISE-GEAR WHINE NOISE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR ONLY-VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 5R55E TRANSMISSION AND 4.0L ENGINE ONLY. *MJ

The fix is to open the tranny and replace driveshaft and planetaries. After that there is NO guarantee the whining will not return.

The noise, as far as I can tell, is harmless. It has to do with the profile(shape) of the planetary gears and how they mesh with each other.

Some of them are louder than others, I got it since my ST was new ('02) and I'm so used to it that I don't even hear it any more.

As far as any long term problem goes, some of the early ones have gone 100K plus without a failure.

I have a flowmaster delta flow 40 series in mine. I like the way it sounds outside and not much noise inside. when you lay on it it sounds nice and burly. Im not a big fan out sounding really really loud so this series sounded perfect to me.

Thanks for all the messages back to me... As for the Scion... yeah it was really nice.. I am going to miss it. My wife and I just had a baby so we needed something bigger and with Ford offering the deals they are, I couldn't pass it up.

That whining noise is kinda getting annoying though. Just doesn't sound right. If it happens to everyone and is NOT causing any damage I guess there is nothing I can do. I don't understand why it would only do it for 2 gears though.

The double post trick was actually a tripple post trick if you go back a little bit... Why does that happen? All I did was hit refresh on the topic list and it kept popping up.... Oh well.

Welcome to the family. I have had my 2001 since it was new and just found out about the ST website a week ago. Try www.undercoverinfo.com It is the one I am going to get soon.....

I have a Gibson cat back exaust system that I really like. Not too noisey, but you know when you get on it. Also a K/N air intake system. You can hear the air coming through when you stomp too.

I paid $599 installed for my undercover- good product, very light. Can take off by myself in about 2 mins and reinstall in 2mins- weighs just over 30 lbs[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed the OEM cover myself. If you are on a budget, you missed out by not purchasing at the dealer. With vehicle, its a $590 add-on and worth every penny.

Through Ford Parts Network, its $880 plus shipping, which is upwards of $210. Ouch! :eek:

A lockable tonneau cover is nice regardless of what you decide to get.

Latest posts