New here

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Bendel

Reaction score
Hello all. Traded in my Scion tC and purchased an '05 Sport Trac XLT yesterday and just had a couple ?'s. I would use the search option but this message board has a different look then the others I normally post on. I'll get the hang of it eventually. First, what is a cheap, durable bed cover you reccomend? I like the look of the soft covers better, the one's that dont really stick out much. Second, while accelerating in 1st and 2nd there is a whining noise. It gets louder in the higher RPM's but seems to stop once it hits 3rd. Is this normal or could it develop into something else? Third, being that it's stock it has tiny wheels/tires and kind of looks rediculous compared to peoples cars on here. There is a member here, Bill Astin, (he has a project in the interior department "Sport Trac Rolling Office") who has the wheels I want but can't seem to find what kind they are. Any clue what kind they are??? Last but not least, sometime in the future I would like to add an exhaust system (Flowmaster probably). What set ups do those of you have on here that you like that isn't too loud in the cabin but sounds good when getting on it???? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

I'd recommend a hard cover. The Advance Tonneau cover is very thin compared to the OEM hard cover. It opens from front or back and locks just like the OEM unit. Soft covers are easily sliced by vandals, and they are not weather tight like the hard covers.

The tranny whine is normal. Every Ford truck I've owned makes that sounds - especially loud in 1st gear going into second.

Lot of members complained about the Flowmaster 40 (not sure which number) was too loud at hwy speeds. The higher numbered Flowmasters are quieter.

Latest posts