New here and looking for info

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Elles

Reaction score
Hi all... New to this site and would appreciate some info....

I had an '02 ST I loved. Truck was totaled when I was hit by a someone not paying attention. I ended up in a large SUV and now I want to get back to the ST... Hopefully a Gen 2. I've done some research/ reading up on the changes starting in '07, but would love to hear what everyone thinks of the '07 vs '08 vs '09. 4.6 vs 4.0. ..... Budget says I will likely get '07 or '08 unless I get really lucky. Would prefer the 4.6... And the Limited instead of the XLT. What do I need to watch out for and avoid? Any real issues in those years? Thanks in advance....

I've read on here that the gen 2s got better with every year, aim for the 2010.

I have a gen 1 V6 and a gen 2 V8 and the 8 wins in every category, power, economy and fun.

I had an 07 V6 Limited for a couple of years, then traded it for my present 08 STA. The 07 was nice enough, but I agree with Holleyman. My experience is that there aren't any huge issues about the Gen2 and finding a decent one boils down to how well maintained it was, which means books and records. As you're in road salt country, finding one without corrosion issues may be a challenge. Good luck with your hunt.

Everyone knows buying a used vehicle is a hit or miss. Like most have stated, it boiled down to how well the vehicle was taken care of. Definitely ask for service records. My 08 came with a Carfax and PAGES of services detailing what dealership the truck spent its time. Although not comprehensive, it was somewhat reassurance to know it had "regular" intervals for servicing.

I was also look at the build date and the older gen2s had issues with the spark plugs breaking off during changes. Many Gen2s can chime in. I was lucky as my build date was 03/08 so I had the revised heads and had no issues with the spark plug change.

Once you do purchase one, make sure some of the first items on your list, would be changing out all the fluids, IE, oil, tranny, diff cases, etc...

Thank you... I've done my fair share of used car buying... Regular maintenance issues are a given... Carfax isn't perfect but can give a little peace of mind when it comes to accidents, repairs, service records, etc.

the kind of really helpful info is stuff like mentioned above regarding spark plugs breaking (doesn't that sound fun). Anyone know production dates I should look for?

I heard of that issue on the '04-'05 5.4L F-150 but not on the 4.6L ST.

Any other helpful info?

"first year of the Gen 2 also had a solid back window..

not the drop down back window as in the other years"

i had an 07 lmtd v-8 and from what i remember the back window that opens was a mid year availability.

if you get a lmtd beware of the platic chrome overlays on the wheels. they crack and are cheap. not a big deal you can always get a nice set of rims.

i also had a tranny bump that went unresolved.

other then that it was a nice vehicle. ps: add a magnaflow cat back and it will sound awesome :grin:

[Broken External Image]:

look no more, I have a 2007 st for sale. This is my 4th sportrac. Looking for a st (adrenalin) 08,09. my 07 White,V6,tan heated seats, wood grain interior, hard bed cover, back up sensors, like new tires (white leather),Not a scratch any where. I have owned this since 4/09, and garage kept with all service work records on hand. Serious lookers, a sking $17,500. Will provide pictures. (205) 556-5666.Ken Koskodan, Tuscaloosa,Al No accidents.

Latest posts