New guy: looking at an '03 tomorrow, seeking advice!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening, ladies and gents -- I'm new here, and am going to look at an '03 Sport Trac with 150K on the clock tomorrow. I was hoping for some general advice. If what I have read so far is correct, the 01's are the trucks to avoid with their timing chain tensioner/guide issues; these were sorted (for the most part) by '03, no? I still plan to listen for chain rattle, and have been tols to look for valve cover leaks toward the back of the covers.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and enjoy routine maintenance. That said, though, I really don't want to deal with things like timing chains and 2-3 transmission flare. How best to I check for these, and what else should I look at? I sure appreciate any and all advice you can offer; thanks in advance!

Oh, and also: on 2001's that have had timing chains replaced by Ford, were "upgraded" parts generally used (making the truck a more viable candidate), or is that an unsafe assumption without documentation? Thanks again!

I own an 03 and could be happier I mean I just got it but I have enjoyed it so far mine as 106000 miles on it and the only thing that I have to do to it is the tie rods which was just a bit of a surprise to found out about ( another post ) but it is a good little ride .

Also check the body mounts. That's an expensive job that is almost surely an issue. Not something I'd shy away from in a purchase but definitely a good negotiating tool. Done yourself, it's less than $200. Shop quotes have been anywhere from $600-1200.

I'd get as new a Sport Trac as you can find but I personally haven't had any of the problems attributed to the Job1. You'll still see the same problems in the newer ones despite all the claims; doesn't seem to have been much improvement although there are updated parts. My assumption is it has to do with maintenance. It's that or luck.

If you hear a rattle at all, don't buy it.

Hey cris, :welcome: I'm no expert but here is my experience:

These trucks are just great, couldn't be happier with mine. 2003 premium package at 201.000 miles all i've done is maintenance. At 175.000 and after being neglected for 4-5 years i invested $3000 (tires, valve cover gaskets, shocks, new fuel pump and fuel filter, bar end links, battery, other small stuff) the truck is pulling strong as day 1, i expect to get at least another 5 years with just minimun maintenance and small repairs if any, has never let me down or stranded in the middle of the road.

-It will be good to know how many owners?

-Like "Hugh" said: "check body mounts"

-Everything that has to do with suspension

-oil leaks, burning oil smell with some smoke is good indication that the valve cover gaskets needs to be replaced

-weird noises, my ST Does not make any "weird" noises

-if battery is good and the truck Hesitates to start, is good indication of a fuel pump maybe needing to be replaced

-check all the windows going up and down, don't forget the rear one.

This site helped me alot and the day i get a new truck i don't think i will sell my ST, there is no way i will give away the truck that i care so much for to somebody that is just not going to appreciate what i did, yeah I'm proud owner :grin:

Good luck :supercool:

I am the original owner of a 2003 ST XLT with 188K miles and am still glad I bought it! There have not been many major problems, with the exception of having the transmission die at about 125K miles. At the time, I think other members of this board said it was not unusual for the transmission to go around that time. So if the truck you're looking at still has it's original one, don't be surprised if you have to replace it.

Have also had suspension issues in the front: tie rods, ball joints, etc. I replaced the stock shocks and sway bar in the first year to improve the ride, so am not sure if that had anything to do with the recurring front end issues (I am not a mechanic).

Recently had the leaking valve cover issue (burning smell), around 180K miles. Also have some electrical issues as some "minor" items have stopped working, like the lock/unlock button on the inside of the front doors, front dome lights don't come on when doors are opened (but they do when you flip the switch).

Sounds like a long list, but over 12 years of ownership, it's been mostly a positive experience and I hope to keep driving it for a lot more miles!

I have 2003 at 93k. Shocks (on second set). Lower ball joints (changed at 72k miles). Master cylinder (74k). Coil wires and plugs at (72k). Alternator & battery (80K) Cat back exhaust at (76k). Have a look underneath the truck for rust and the body mounts.

My body mounts are just at the early stage of degradation, I have the prothane kit, I bought it because I got a good price for it and I was worried that when they do finally go, i would not be able to find them. Maybe this summer I'll put them in.

For the mileage you are looking at I would be concerned about the above plus - A/C, power steering pump, starter. See if the owner has some receipts.

It's not always about the miles. Sometimes its just the time on this earth and the number of thermal cycles the vehicle has gone through.

Good luck.

I have a 2001 4x4 with 138,000 miles on it. I've found the Sport Trac is a solid truck. If the front end work has been done, it'll drive straight and true. There will be no front end noises, including rattles and clunks.

Thanks, friends -- I did go take a look. The good news was that the engine was quiet as could be, the body mounts looked surprisingly good, and the frame seemed very, very clean overall. The bad news was that there were several little things that required attention, and I just don't think I have time to sort them all out. The rear seat leather was ripped through in a couple of spots, the rear window would open but not close properly (VERY slow and kept stopping at about 1/3 closed), both front windows were VERY slow to roll down, odd braking (felt like ABS was kicking in at very low speeds, maybe?), etc... Just too much for me at this point. I like getting my hands dirty, but not with this many question marks.

I'll keep looking. Thanks again, though!

Latest posts