New gas cap alternative to keep from scratching up the fender

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
We just started stocking these at work, so I had to pick one up. The Stant InstantFill cap. No more scratches on the fender from a hanging gas lid, though the only thing it's missing is the ability to be a locking lid too. Now I have my stock lid in the closet and my locking lid in the tool box in the bed. Retails for $14.99 + tax and I highly recommend it. Part number is 41002 for the ST, but they have them to fit most vehicles.

[Broken External Image]:

Is this an air tight closure, and/or will it throw a code since air will seep through the flap?

Pretty cool concept. I don't know about all model years, but 2004's have an anti-siphon strainer in the neck, making it impossible to steal gas.

Yes, it's air tight. The small lid is spring loaded and has a seal running around the edge. I've driven around and it has not thrown a code.

looks cool. I checked their website and it doesnt look like they are selling in any stores near me. If I send you the money can you send me one.

Thanks,

Peter

I would be very interested also. Where do they sell those? Nothing on their website about dealers.

I work at Advance Auto Parts, and we just got them in on the truck on Friday. Look for them in any store that sells Stant products: gas caps, oil caps, radiator caps, etc. Okay, well I'll take orders in this thread til Friday then I'll buy them and ship them out. Make payment after I ship them so you pay for exact shipping.

Looks great I am going on a trip this weekend and going to look for one if its $14.99 retail then it would be just as cheap for me to get it that way as it would be at least a couple bucks to ship here although I sure do appreciate your williness to get one for anyone who wants it. .

It's not lockable. I replaced my locking cap with this one. I discovered, with as many keys as I have, it's more of a hassle to keep them from scratching the truck when trying to take the locking cap off.

Must be really new. When you type in that part # on the Advance web site I get 7 different parts but none of them the Slant gas cap. I have an Advance store just a couple of miles from my house. I'll check with them.

That looks pretty cool. I think I'll keep my locking one though. I'm not so much worried about people siphoning out my gas as I am about people putting something into my gas tank. That always worried me. Still cool though.

Only one thing worries me. It states "The product meets onboard diagnostic (OBD) emission specifications, so it will not illuminate the “check engine” light on late model vehicle". In our area we have VERY strict emission testing. On my wife's former Expedition we had to replace the fuel cap to get an inspection sticker even though the engine trouble lights never came on. Still, I guess I could just throw the original back on before I go and get it inspected.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would probably be trial and error Tom on whether it would fail emissions. The device does have a rubber gasket affixed to the stationary part of the cap, and the hinged flap mates with the gasket.

Emissions stations were eliminated here a few years ago after being in place for a couple decades I think. Anyway the reasons to decommission the stations were partly due to new car standards, the stations were costing the county too much, and air quality standards had improved so drastically of that from the early 1970's.

The cap has a "NASCAR" stamp on it, so I'm sure my pit time will improve lol.

Latest posts