New Ford Explorer concept

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Sign of things to come?

From Edmunds Inside Line:

...in theory it would be offered with a choice of two engines: a 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder making 275 horsepower and a 340-hp turbocharged 3.5-liter V6.

Sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is to interesting! I was watchin Jurassic Park last night and was admiring how modified the explorers in that show were... particularly the giant glass roof (used to view the dinos of course) which looks similar to this design. I miss those old explorers...

I agree a diesel version would be a great addition to the line and could be marketed as a GREEN vehical here in CA if used with BioDiesel.

Also looks like the El Camino is coming back too!! another wonder from down under will fit the bill

Unibody? People here already complain that the current model of explorer can't be lifted to go offroad. I wonder how they'll react to a unibody car which can't really take a hit as well as probably being unliftable. I know that the explorer isn't an offroad vehicle by nature, but this has entered the CR-V zone :(

To me, it looks like a giant step backwards. But sales records show that such vehicles are what the "american people" want, so I guess ford is forced to join the herd.

On the enormous moonroof, why is there even a roof rack? Assuming that you couldn't break the faux-glass (I'd hope), putting something up there would just lead to countless smudges and scrapes along the glass. Cleaning the fingerprints off the inside and grime off the outside would be a major pain. Also, as this is unibody, does't that mean that the structural integrity is largely maintained by the roof, which is essentially glass? The roof looks cool--I'd personally want a "safari moonroof"--but the car itself is so glaring that I don't have the appropriate words to describe it.

This is to interesting! I was watchin Jurassic Park last night and was admiring how modified the explorers in that show were... particularly the giant glass roof (used to view the dinos of course) which looks similar to this design. I miss those old explorers..

Yeah, they were so awesome... I was 7 years old when JP was released and since then I've always wanted to mod an explorer...

Also, remember The Lost Word with the mercedese m classes... they cut the back off one and made it like a truck... when the ST came out it was the first thing I thought of....

What's Edmunds' take?

A six-speed automatic? Unibody construction? Not exactly ground-breaking, conceptual stuff here. It's kind of cute, though.

Sounds like even Edmunds is laughing at FORD. and....didn't I see GM's Envoy with a retractable roof a few years ago??? I would not buy that vehicle, seems they are trying for the look of that Honda box looking thing....but in larger size. THUMBS DOWN.

I will admit, what made the Explorer popular was it's versitility, go anywhere, yet carry the kids appeal...

Unfortunately, the new Explorer could pass for a Pilot or Highlander... even seems to be a bigger version of my rav...

Doesn't Ford have the Edge? Why do they need another one?

Consumers don't want trucks anymore. They want cars that look like trucks, can carry 8 people, and have a nice soft ride.

I thought the 2.0 was a diesel, but it looks like it's the Mazda 2.0 DI gasoline engine.

A bit over the top like nearly all prototypes, but I think it has potential. I like the look of the body and I think the sliding rear door has great potential. With the ever shrinking parking spaces I think the rear door could be a big selling point. I know, it leaves visions of a mini van, but the fact is it is a better solution. Time will tell, but they have to be innovative to be competitive. Trying to sell the same old thing year after year is a proven losing game plan.

I just saw this concept and figured it was being discussed here.

I like the sliding door as well. I was thinking a few weeks ago when we had our first baby, that's one thing that minivan's have that SUV's don't, but NEED to be good substitutes for MV's. Some (GM at least) already has the auto closing rear hatch on their full size SUV's, so that's covered.

I'm sure we'll see some cues from this concept in the next version of the Explorer.

I hate to hear people speculate it will be discontinued because the sales are slow. Problem is, they built an ugly one in this last redesign, and the ST wasn't much better.

I'm curious to see what the next products Explorer and ST's will look like. My Avalanche lease is up this Oct, and I'll be looking for a replacement.

Dear Ford/Santa:

Please, just give us the look of the concept trac you teased us with...and some muscle under the hood and a dependable transmission and make it so, we ( those who want to,) can lift or lower without issues. and while your at it...design something with GREAT gas miledge that a r working person's pocket or wallet can afford. oh something else Ford Santa, could you pleeeease make it come with decent tires and the better shocks too. I think we can handle the rest once our dealers deliver.

is that too much to ask for?

signed,

an ST owner.

lol sorry could not resist :)

Latest posts