New Firestones

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson Ellis

Reaction score
New shoes. First Firestone's I've ever purchased; chose them from internet research, mainly on Tirerack.com. Coming back home, noise was fine, handling was fine, ride was great. $762.04 out the door with 4 tires, 4-wheel allignment, and lifetime rotation, balancing, and flat repair.

[Broken External Image]:

I have the AT on my Trac and love them. Have had them for almost 2 years, granted I only average about 4K on my Trac a year as it is now an extra vehicle.

I had those Destinations for about a week and upgraded to the Dueller H/L Alenza. I found the Destinations were ok but I really like the Dueller's. Much better handling, especially on my Gen 1 truck!

Destination LE looks like a highway tire.

I got the Destination A/T, which has a more aggressive tread -- I was thinking of snow.

I was reluctant, because after all the history of the Ford Explorer and Firestone Tires was not a happy one, with all the blowouts and rollover fatalities circa 2001. Ford had a recall on the Firestone tires because of all that -- I think that was 2002 -- and I was given new Goodyear tires for free.

The Firestone name was suddenly ruined, it seemed. Just hugely bad PR. Now the Firestone name seems to be still alive, but more of a bargain brand name instead of the premium name it once was. So I bought the Firestone A/T tires at a pretty good price, with a bit of fear because of the history. No blowout yet, knock on wood.

A freind just put oem size, destination le's on his 07 mazda tribute(ford escape). He has had them for about 30 day's. He hopes they will take them back. He said, the road noise is terible. Windows up on the highway you cant talk to the passenfers, especialy back seat. Since he got them @ firestone. If they will swap them, he doesnt know what firestone to exchange them for.

He went for sale price instead og the yokohamas' his rav 4 had. We had the same yok's on our '01 escape. They were nice tires.

I have had Destination LE on my 05 for aprrox 46,000 mi, They have been great tires. Way better than the OEN Wranglers. When they wear out there will be another set also

On my second set of Desination A/T's, but like others here I need to get around in snow. If I lived in the south I think the LE's would be a fine tire for the money.

I have a set of the Firestone LE's on my '04 ST... Love the quiet ride, handling and traction. So much so that I purchased a set of the Firestone AT's for my Z-71, replacing a very long life set of Michelin's XL's.. So far I love them and wish I had got them last year! The old XL's still had some tread on them but one finally wouldn't pass inspection so it was time to get new.. The traction I get off road now is SO much better than before, quiet and smooth riding so far.

The LE's on my ST serve me well on or off road and since mine is a 2wd I really depend on that little bit of extra traction they offer over a standard road tire. These tires have been on my ST for over a year now and have probably 14 thousand miles on them so far.

I always had good luck with Firestone tires until I bought my new 2001 Sport Trac...Those tires were terrible and later recalled by Ford because of tread separation. By that time I had bought new tires, but Ford reimbursed me.

I have also had very good luck with Goodyear tires, that many people don't like. Any tire that gets more than about 50K miles and has good wet-weather traction throughout it's tread life is a good tire in my books.

I have had bad luck with Michelin tires on my new Honda back in 1990. The had good wet-weather traction for about the first 10K miles then got really scary. I got less than 40K scary miles on them and we don't get a lot of rain here in Texas. I was really skeptical about the Michelins that came on my 2008 Mercedes, but they got really great mileage and the wet-weather traction remained good.. I just replaced them less than a year ago with the exact same model Michelins and so far, so good.

...Rich

Latest posts