new exhaust for 2001

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary mendelow

Reaction score
i am going to need a new exhaust system from the catalitic sp? back.

can you guys/gals tell me what is the best lasting aftermarket stock exhaust and i also want to balance that with most economical...might be an impossibility, but i know they can get quite expensive.

i look forward to the help.

thanks,

gary

The longest-lasting exhaust system will be stainless steel. Which means expensive. So you have to decide, living in the winter-salt on the roads-Midwest, if you want to go less expensive now, but spend more later when the cheaper, aluminzed steel exhaust rusts out in a few years, or spend the money now on a SS system and be done with it.

OEM pipes are 2.25". Magnaflow makes a bolt-on, stainless steel cat-back system; but it's pretty expensive (~$400). Part number is 15696. Lots of folks here have bought it on Performance Peddler.com. They have a "make an offer" option, and some people report that they've gotten it for a little lower than average retail price.

Last edited by a moderator:
had an accident in the rear and got a new grey bumper.

what is the best lasting aftermarket stock exhaust and i also want to balance that with most economical

No mention of your exhaust system being accident damaged or from deterioration.

IIRC, the OEM system is primarily stainless, except for the clamps and fasteners.

Sounds like you prefer to keep the sound and appearance as close to stock as possible,

replacing only the muffler may be adequate. Andy's suggestion of the Magnaflow catback

may be your only choice if you need stainless, it will be considerably louder than stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay, so let me amend my post a hair...not damaged in the accident, just too loud as the muffler is going..thought it was the sleeve after the cat, but fixed that with a ford taurus application..

so now, yes, i want to quiet it down to stock specs..

so what is the best muffler that will hold up to midwest winters here in cleveland like the original did???

thanks

The best muffler that will hold up in the salt belt is the one you get at Midas with a lifetime guarantee. :driving:

Eddie- It looks like the ideal muffler choice, although conflicting info from different vendors.

Advance AP description says stainless steel, others aluminized for the Walker 21478. :banghead:

i went with a mangaflow cat back stainless. i love it.

So did I. as time has gone by it is a little louder. I like it though. It donesnt drone in the cab.

I think he wants quiet.

Latest posts