New Brakes and Rotors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Hartman

Reaction score
WOW!!! what a difference new cross drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads make! Bought a set for the front of my 01 ST 4x4 and now she'll stop on a dime and give you 9 cents back! The OEM brakes sucked. I had a very close call with a child running into the street it took everything I had to get the truck to stop. I recommend to anyone putting new brakes on to spend the extra cash and upgrade your rotors. :banana:

just ordered a set and cant wait to get them here. Also got a k&n intake system, magnaflow catback and the sct tuner. have warranty work tomorrow and then it all goes in. Sure hope the $ was worth all of it!:banana:

My opinion is that drilled rotors are not needed on the street. They only provide additional cooling if you do a lot of hard braking and they increase brake pad wear. Solid rotors will provide more friction surface area and provide more stopping power for a single panic/hard stop during the occasional emergency situation like you described and thus will give shorter stops provided you do not overheat them. If you are overheating your brakes on the street, you are probably driving way too fast...and relying too much on your brakes to get you out of trouble. That strategy is hard on the brakes and prone to early brake failure.

Remember that most Racing brakes are rebuilt after each race or every few races because they have very heavy abuse in just a few miles of racing. If you drive like that on the street you would need to rebuild the brakes every thousand miles or so.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Im running OEM rotors with performance-friction pads.

Stops on a dime with 15 cents change.

IMO, Cross drilledrotors for street service is over kill. Pads wont last As long.

As Rich said, replacment is more often. Crossed drilled are replaced after every race. Sometimes. During the race it they crack between the holes. If you dont mind excess pad wear. Dimpled or sloted are better on the street.Lets the gases from heat escape.

Eddie has it right. He put in a set of pads from Performance Friction, they make a ton of differrence. I will be ordering a set when mine wear out(pads are about 1 year old and half worn already) As far as the rotors, I've been using the drilled/slotted one from Brake Performance. They do eat up the pads pretty quickly. I've had to have one recut cause it warped a little. But in retrospect, You really don't need those rotors on the street. Its only "cool" factor and just regular slotted discs would probably be better. EBC and a few others make them. But check out those pads first!! Bob

For all you haters of the drilled rotors you need braking 101. Yes the drilled rotors do help on cooling but they release the gases that build up when braking so more of the pad touches the rotor. Ya it may ware the pad a bit faster but gives you better braking. As we all know the first gen has horrible braking also noted by consumer reports so any help given to the braking system is a plus. :cheeky:

For all you haters of the drilled rotors you need braking 101

Your are not considering. You are talking to people that have built cars for the street and the track for more than 40 years.

Many of us have had 101,102,103,104 And 100000001,

Go back and read the some of the archives about this issue. Plus re-read the qoute from my post.

If you dont mind excess pad wear. Dimpled or sloted are better on the street.Lets the gases from heat escape

Your not talking to 12yr olds, on here.

BTW, my '04 has always had excelent brakes. Dont care about CR. The PF pads on OEM rotors, made them even better. I drive fast and brake heavy. I havent warped them either

But what do we know. We havent taken your personal 101 class............

To echo Eddie's statement, I use better pads with the OEM rotors. I immediately noted better performance, and I have a habit of braking heavy. Took the pads off for inspection after about 1k miles and haven't seen any evidence of damage or excessive wear.

The pads I use are ceramic ProStop from PepBoys. I may try a performance grade pad in the future, as these seem prone to dusting.

adm,

To echo what others have already said here...If you are heating your brakes so badly that you require drilled or slotted rotors, you are over-driving your brakes on the street...and that will eventually get you into trouble. What works on a race track does not necessarily work for a street vehicle.

The only reason most people put drilled and slotted rotors on their street driven cars is because they LOOK COOL, and they may think that if race cars use them to keep their brakes cool, it will work better for their street driven cars...That is just a myth. If you need racing brakes on the street, you are driving way over your head and are a danger to everyone on the road with you. If you are driving in a normal civilized matter with racing brakes, you may actually have less stopping power because racing brakes perform better only when heated up...so unless you made enough stops before you encounter an emergency, you may actually have very poor braking power because your racing brakes are not warmed yet.

Your truck stops fine now, not because you have drilled rotors, but because you changed to a much better brake pad material. Also note that Ceramic pads are not recommended for Towing. You probably would have got as much braking power with OEM rotors, so the drilled rotors were just an added expense...but they do look cool.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to include one thing that can give you better street brakes. Switching to SS flex lines might make an increase in performance. Less expansion. Than the braided steel reinforced rubber lines.

This might be the only other brake upgrade for street service I might do.

No hurry. PF pads dont fade with heat. They havent with me.

Latest posts