New Brake Pads - Akebono ProACT Ceramics

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Gonzalez

Reaction score
Installed new front pads last night. Pretty uneventful. Went with the Akebono ProACT Ceramics. At just under 36k, the stock pads had about 2mm left on them (rears are at around 6mm). The rotors were in better shape than I expected--I had planned to get them turned, but it seemed uneccessary. I was hesitant at first not to do anything with the rotors, but figured why take anything off of them if not needed. Hopefully they'll hold through the life of these pads, at which point I'll just install new rotors with the next set of pads.

Way to go Capt Meejo. Got the same pads for my ST at around 30k. The difference between the oem pads and these are amazing.

Wes, ceramic pads don't put the black dust look to your rims. Mine get a "dull" look after about a month without washing. I will spend the extra money from now on for ceramic pads. Well worth the extra money. Plus no squeel.:D;)

I've been using the Raybestos QuietStop Ceramic pad for about 2 yrs. now, and still going strong. I plan on checking out the Akebono ProACT Ceramics when I replace the pads, and I plan on replace the front rotors with with larger ones and 3 piston calipers if they make them for the ST.

BTW - Good to see you posting again, Alex. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am at 86,000 miles and still on the original rotors. They were turned only once and not because they needed turned.

Tom

Caymen,

Why did you turn the rotors if they didn't need to be turned?

You always seemed to be a thrifty, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't use cheap pads on the Trac, they WILL screw up the rotors.

I've had great times with both Wagner and Akebono.

Why did you turn the rotors if they didn't need to be turned?

I just finished up the disk conversion and I wanted to make sure the front rotors were in as perfect shape as I could get them.

IIRC, the machine shop cut no more than .010" off the rotors.

Not bad for driving like a fool, hauling overloaded trailers, and lots of city traffic. The way it looks, I will get another 30,000 miles out of those rotors.

Tom

I started my search for these Akebono pads on rockauto.com (Part # ACT833). Price is $64.79, but after shipping to my address it came out to $78.55

If you have a PartsAmerica.com partner locally (like Kragen or Advance Auto Parts), then you can go to your local store and have them order them for $72.99 plus tax. No shipping charges, as parts will be delivered to the store next day (in most cases). After taxes, I ended up paying 10 cents more than the RockAuto price, but I was able to pick them up next day--as I was wanting to install ASAP. Plus, it makes for an easy return if necessary.

Did the akebono pads you bought come with the metal clips/shims whatever they are called. I ordered a set from rockauto.com and the box only had the pads. It seemed to be missing something, and the packaging inside the box that the pads were in wasnt sealed it was torn open.

Rainman, the Akebono pads I received from rockauto this month arrived in a factory-sealed shrink wrap package which was nexted inside a cardboard box. The box also contained a packet of lube. It did not contain any separate shims or metal clips.