Never Sell Your Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Lynas

Reaction score
They say confession is good for the soul so here goes. Don't sell your Sport Trac. Unfortunately I wish I could reverse about a year ago. Ford could never fix my brakes and yes, they really pissed me off. Especially when hot outside. Traded it in for Focus. 6 weeks later and I am looking for my Sport Trac or one like. No luck. My lovely bride hated the Focus. I hated she needed to drive to drive it. My bride and curbs are like magnets. So, a dealer offered me a buy back on the Focus and 12500 off of what they call invoice and now driving a F150 FX2. It's a dream boat and I haven't had a V8 since the 70s. Still all STs I drove in 08, 09 and 10 had fantastic brakes. I bet if I'd just changed the booster, all problems would have been fixed. Several Ford tech knew exactly what was happening, but unless a Ford created a fault code, Ford never admits anything wrong. The Focus was fun to drive but It can't haul a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood without cutting into 2 x 3 squares. It didn't like hauling 450 pounds of dirt in bags either. With that, I will be moving to the F150 forums. My new goal in life is to be still talking about my F150 15 years from now.

One other thing. If you own a SCT 3 programmer, and you forget to return to stock, it's going to cost you 150 bucks to unlock it.

Pretty sure there is forgiveness with the members here, the only redeeming thing I have done is stay loyal to Ford.

Russ

I have been feeling the itch to get something new for about the last 6 months or so. I have driven anything and everything that I thought appealed to me. After driving about 20 different vehicles, there is something wrong with all of them. Owning a trac is both a blessing and a curse - once you own one you can never replace it. I have some to the conclusion that there is nothing on the road right now at any price that can replace the comfort, utility and economy of the trac. Not sure what I am going to do once it becomes a money pit.

Listen to Dave Ramey. It is better to fix the car or truck you like than to go into debt in a car or truck just because it is new.

Yes, another Dave Ramsey fan! Trying to get my snowball to stop rolling by this time next year.

Tim is exactly right. Always best to find a mechanic that knows. Even if out of pocket. Every car is repairable with the right knowledge.

Im not sure how they came to the conclusion, but. I saw a news segment that gave some average data. They said, a person that buys and keeps a vehicle for at least 10yrs. Including major out of pocket repairs, that one or two may have. Might save as much as $300k over their life time. Versus those that lease or trade auto's every 3 to 4 years.

Interesting statistic I've heard a few times: A majority of millionaires do not drive new vehicles.

Also a Ramsey fan!! And a Sport Trac fan as I love my '05!! Also a true stat about millionaires. They know you NEVER buy a new depreciating "asset". I bought my Trac in 2010. It had around 50k miles and I payed less than half of the original sticker. If I keep it until there is nothing at all left but rust I will still not lose as much money as the previous owner did!! And yes they made some repairs before I bought it including a fuel pump. I have made NO repairs in 19k miles of driving, only maintenance!! Trying to get my 20 something daughter and son-on-law to understand this long-term concept regarding money. "Sermon over". lol!!

I started looking at selling mine when it had tranny problems as someone was selling their already lifted, etc. Trac. I ended up replacing the shot transmission, kept the truck and now have started to do all the projects I've wanted to do for so long. Not only is it a money thing, it's a learning thing.

I've sold 3 of them. I like the utility of the vehicle. For me, it had a very underpowered V8. It's power to weight ratio sucked. The 6R80 trans was absolutely terrible.

Everything a V8 4WD ST can do...an F150 can do better for nearly the same net price. Which is why they got rid of the vehicle.

The ONLY reason I liked the ST was because of the Adrenalin package. There simply is no other vehicle on the road that looks as good with a pickup bed...period.

The only ST I regret selling was the last one. My Supercharged Adrenalin. That truck was amazing. Insane power to the wheels and good drivability.

I'm actually looking to sell my Kia Sportage and buy an Honda Odyssey EX-L! Just need more room.

I have to admit that I didn't want to sell my ST either a few months ago, but I do love my F-150 that I'm driving now. Pulls my boat a lot better up north and have a ton more room in the cab.

I have to admit that I didn't want to sell my ST either a few months ago, but I do love my F-150 that I'm driving now. Pulls my boat a lot better up north and have a ton more room in the cab.

That's why I'm building the ST to eventually just be a toy and my next vehicle will be a supercrew F150. Then I'll have my antique muscle car, offroad toy (hopefully on 1-tons by then) and a daily driver workhorse. Life will be sweet...er. Still loving every moment in the ST as a daily driver.

While the F-150 is a great truck they are just too BIG for my needs. The Sport Trac is closer to the perfect size vehicle for me. It would be even better with another foot of bed length but then it would probably be too long. I sure hope Ford gets their head out of their butt and brings the T6 Ranger here. The overall length is very close to the Gen 2 ST even in the Wildtrak crew cab version that also has a foot longer bed than the ST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzPE3NhZuJg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvp09saPcng&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmInaBEm7Q&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts