Neutral tow kit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on them making one for the Gen2. They were trying to find a switch that went

into the gearshift selector. I made my own from Radio Shack and a supply house that had

a switch that would work with a little modification. They were going to sell the kit for

a outrageous price of 500.00. My total cost to make mine was about 8.00.

I can give you documantion and pictures if you want.

i'm not familiar with this. what is a neutral tow kit?

It allows the transfer case to be shifted into Neutral, which there is no button for, so that your Trac can be flat-towed behind a motorhome.

Otherwise, this can happen:

[Broken External Image]:

:bwahaha:

Seriously though, a manual tranny vehicle you can flat-tow in Neutral just fine. With an auto tranny, simply shifting into Neutral and towing it will cook your tranny in short order because the driveshaft is spinning but the fluid is not being pumped around inside the transmission and you can say goodbye to your output shaft bearing and other parts inside the tailshaft. With a 4x4 you would leave the tranny in Park and shift the t-case into Neutral. With a 4x2 you need to have some sort of driveline disconnect or towing hubs for the rear wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be OK to tow in neutral if you had the engine idling? I could see for short distances <50 miles or so this might be a viable option to towing the Trac.

I thought there was a neutral tow kit for the Gen2's. Go to the Ford Accessories Store website, and there it is -- part # 7H332.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts