nerf Bars Rattling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Hallum

Reaction score
I have a set of Westin Chrome Nerf Bars. The one on the passenger side has a rattle .Thighten the nuts to the the brace that attaches to the frame or body. Tried to thighten the bolt to the Nerf Bats , but couldn't move them, but still have the rattle . Anyone have any suggestions .

thanks

thomas

I had a similar issue, but with the factory ones and on the driver side. No matter how tight the screws were, the rattle remained.

You may need some type of "Buffer" between the braces and the frame.

I ended up placing a piece of hard plastic (used to smooth/apply decals on cars) inbetween the rear brace and the frame. No more rattle.

Exact same problem with my Westin nerf bars. I have figured out that the problem is the pre-drilled holes on the nerf bars themselves. When I go to tighten the front screws to the bracket, the bolt just spins (thread stripped?). I'm not able to tighten or loosen the bolt to remove the nerf bar from the bracket. When I get extra time, I'm going to take the entire assembly off the frame to see if I can remove the entire bolt, but it's difficult to do when it's attached to the truck. I have a noticeable 1/4" gap when I raise the nerf bar off the bracket and have tried the "buffer" technique, but it fell off.