Need to syphen gas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan gelb

Reaction score
Hi all

I need to get gas for generator as all gas stations are closed

already tried pulling fuel line from filter but that only drained

gas from engine not tank.I know someone here knows how to get the gas out

HELP.

In most cases the newer vehicles have a screen in the filler tube to prevent you from getting fuel out via the siphon effect.

If out Tracs do have this screen you could still get a tiny tube down the filler. Although it will take some time, it will give you gas for your generator. There will be no real easy way to do it via the fuel pump as Ford ECM's shut down the relay when the engine is not running.

You could disconnect the return line and drop it into a can and then start the vehicle. It will put the fuel into the can instead of returning it to the tank.

No matter what you do be safe....

I used this method on an older FI vehicle.

Remove the schrader valve on the fuel rail and use a length of fuel hose to run into a can.

Turn the key to 'run' and the fuel pump should run for at least 5 seconds.

Turn the key off and on to repeat this until you get as much gas as you need.

I used to jump out the fuel pump relay so I could run the pump directly but this will require a little more knowledge of the vehicle on your part.

WalMart also has a tool now for siphoning, so you don't have to get a mouthful of gasoline...if you want to go the siphoning route. ;)

Thats why I never bought a locking gas cap. They aren't needed these days. I had a similar problem after last months hurricane and wanted to siphon some gas. Tried it with my wife's 97 Expedition, my sons 98 Kia Sportage, and my ST. None of them worked and it was not a big hose. It was one of those siphoning kits with the pump and small hose.

Just find an older vehicle in your area and siphon the gas out of it instead.

or head down to a local marina and try to get some out of a boat

;) of course you would want to ask first ;)

well this hurricane got us good,and none of the ideas above worked

there is very very little open and even fewer with power.

I just turned generator back on to check email and here plus give the fish some air

back to tree cutting.

Latest posts