Need to haul 2 kayaks!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Sove

Reaction score
Im buying two kayaks for a summer trip, and need to haul them with my 04 adrenalin.. I would LIKE to keep my bed cover on, as well as use my tailgate..So the "trailer hitch" style wont do... does anyone know exactly what cross bars i can use with my factory roof rails? and where i can get an inexpensive "back half" ?? liiikee a ladder rack sorta.. im already dropping a ton of money on the kayaks, i;d like to buy used stuff to haul them if possible, as im only gonna do this once or twice a year lol. thanks guys!

I have Yamaha crossbars that attach to my roof rack. From there it depends on how wide your kayaks are. If they will fit side by side, no problem. If the width is to much you will need mounts that mount the kayaks on their side. Yamaha has all types of accessories that you can use depending on what you want to spend. Attach some nylon straps under the hood to provide front tie downs, don't put too much pressure on these when tying the kayak bows down.

I used this method for several years without a problem. As I got older I got a trailer that can hauls two kayaks and saved my back.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
you can find j-bar used on CL a lot. you will need crossbars also.. I made a set out of uni-strut bars, and some wedge cut 4x4's. total cost about $40...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. I looked on amazon last night, and saw a set of crossbars for i think $68-$70 i may buy.. then, i found in our projects library, somebody made a mount for bikes, utilizing the side bed tie downs.. my HOPES, is to use the center tie downs, fix my rear kayak mount to that, and use the crossbars on the roof for front and center strapping.. that way, i'll still be able to flip open my lid if i need to! measuring it all out looks like it will work, NOW i jsut need to figure a way to take the knowledge from the project i saw, and use it on mine. One things for sure, i need to find "thule gutter mount" feet..?? i think they are called.