Need some wiring help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Fields

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Got my new hifonics speakers in from sonix today! Got 4 of them and a 4 channel hifonics amp to go with my new radio head unit and woofer.

The speakers were easy to install using some info on here and good ol YouTube but there's one thing I need help on...

The speakers have a blue LED in them which requires the positive wire for the LED to be wired to an accessory and the ground to be, well grounded. My question is where is an accessory fuse or spot to run this wire?

I'm not certain, but I'd imagine that there is a constant 12+ at the window or lock switch so you don't have to run wire from all over into the doors. Take a multimeter and start testing.

I tried that and when the lights power up the charge will open or close the window or activate the lock depending on the one u tap into :/

I tried that and when the lights power up the charge will open or close the window or activate the lock depending on the one u tap into :/

On the front doors, the door lock switches stay lit for a long time after the engine is off. I'm not sure how long they go for, I haven't been bored enough to look :grin:

Anyhow, perhaps you could tap into whatever powers the lighting element of those 2 switches, as the power to that is probably independent of the locking/unlocking function of the switch.

Out of curiosity, did you change out all the stock green interior lighting?

Did you tap both the pos and neg when you tapped? That seems like the only way that the windows/locks would go unintentionally.

I was thinking tap the pos of one of them and use a common ground with the speakers for the neg of the lights.

I looked at your profile and it said you had an 01

here is the PDF on the wiring for audio and security systems.. might help a bit.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/13223/2001%20ST.pdf

Hope it does.. good luck

@ KL - No I havent done anything to my lighting... yet >:) I need to muster up some courage to change my dash cluster and all the lights to blue, until then i turn the brightness all the way down and ignore them with all my other blue lights :p I'll have to investigate that door light idea too. If anything I can run the wires to my battery with an inline resistor to knock the voltage down and a fuse. then run a switch for the speaker lights and any other Ambient LEDs i get later so I can control when they are on.

@ JD - No, I Had the ground wire on a bolt head inside the door panel and was just shoving the pos end into different terminals to see what was what. When ever I put it in the windows would start going or the door would lock or unlock.

@ Sal - I'll give it a quick read, I'm just at work :p I have plenty of time.

Thanks to Everyone! Ill keep this updated, Im sure I'll have more questions...

Ok, just for my understanding... in the link Sal gave me, the wire labled "ACCESSORY" would be with the rest of the stereo wires??

Latest posts