Need some wheel backspacing help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Munday

Reaction score
OK, so it's not for an ST, but I'm hoping the populace here could still help me.

I'm in need of rear wheels for my project truck. I've done lots of measuring, number crunching and the like and think I finally came up with something that'll work, just need some verification.

I measured the rear wheel well, I've got a total usable width of 13.5625"...handy, as the section width of the tires is 11" (275/60R15). I want to use a 15" x 8" wheel. With a tire mocked in place as close to the fender lip as I dare, I get a measurement of 5.125" from the extreme outer sidewall width to the mounting flange on the axle. Subtracting 1.5" gives me 3.625" front spacing on the wheel, which translates into 4.375" of backspacing, with a 0mm offset. The closest backspacing in the wheel style I want is 4.5" with 0mm offset, which brings the edge of the tire inboard slightly, which is OK. Right?

To summerize, a 15" x 8" wheel with 0 offset and 4.5" backspacing will fit a 275/60R15 tire (11" section width) in a wheel well with 5.125" of front clearance. Jeeze, I sure hope so...