Need Some Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Dedrick

Reaction score
Ok so I've been having a few issues with my 04 Sport Trac lately and have no idea where to really start (not a big into engines and electrical of cars)

First one is that last week my truck just died in the middle of the street...wouldn't start back up at all but would crank and crank...First thought was fuel pump...So I bought I new one but before i replaced it I checked the fuel pressure after the filter and it seemed to be fine...and then magically it started back up after getting it towed to my garage...Check engine light came on so took it to auto zone and the code came up for Fuel Pump Driver Module but then went away after a couple days...It was fine for a week and then today it didnt want to start but eventually did....Any Ideas?

Second my heater wont produce heat unless I'm driving...It doesn't do it every time but for the last couple weeks it seems to do it more than working.

How many miles on your Trac, and how much attention have you given it maintenance-wise? How long since last fuel filter change? Before I changed the pump I'd change that low-cost item. What's the condition of your spark plugs? Driver's side ones are fairly accessible, so I'd pull a couple to check. For the heater problem, same kind of questions: How fresh is your coolant, any leaks, etc.? Heater fan functioning normally?

If you are getting gas, then you are not getting an ignition spark. Check the wiring harness in the steering column. Gen-1 Sport Tracs are notorious for the tilt steering wheel pulling on the connector and either making loose contacts or even breaking the wires. That often causes strange intermittent malfunctions of the headlignts, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, horn, wipers, starter and ignition, because all those wires go through that connector on the steering column.

Try tilting your wheel down and up and see if that helps.

I know it sounds strange but I had a similar problem with my old 2001 Sport Trac intermittently not starting and it was the wiring harness in the steering column. The last time it would not start my wife was out of town visiting her sister.....she had to have the truck towed to a Ford dealer and it took them all day before one Tech remembered a service bulletin from Ford and found the loose connection in steering column wiring harness.

The cure is simple....just pull up a little more slack into the column so that the wheel tilt does not cause any tension on the connector, and make sure any broken or loose wires are repaired.

....Rich

All the maintance is pretty much up to date..I take really good care of it..just did the plugs last year, fuel filter a few months ago, oil, and flushed the radiator last year but over the summer had to replace the thermostat and housing so its all new coolant but it might be a little low..I do have a slight leak in the coolant just haven't got around to fixing it yet but it's just a little trickle

Also check the inertia switch and wiring.

Loss of heat could be a broken blend door in the heater box. Fuel issue maybe the pressure sensor since you have a return less system it has a sensor to keep the correct fuel pressure for proper flow. Hope those help.

Latest posts