Need Some Advice on Insurance Companies

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd Quarles

Reaction score
Just wondering...what insurance companies do you use and how reasonable is the cost? Also are you satisfied with them? I have about had enough of Safeco...it is probably just their local agent but it is a bad reflection on the entire company. So I am ready to make a switch once I determine what is best.

I had Geico and now I have American Family.

Before I was married, I had Geico. Seriously, I saved over $200.00 a year by switching to Geico from Progressive. To add insult to injury over the whole situation, I even had better coverage with Geico than I had with Progressive.

The reason why I went with American Family is because we have our house insured with American Family, and by adding the cars to the police, I pay about the same for three cars as I did with only two using Geico.

The reason why my wife, then GF, went with American Family is that we called every agent in our area, and the AmFam agent called us back, scheduled an appointment that same day. Talk about great service. As an agent, he has been great. No matter the hour you need him, he is always there.

Tom

Thanks to the responses...like I say, it is really my specific Safeco agent that is the problem, but that pretty much kills the whole company for me. Anyone have any experience with Nationwide? We just got a new agent here in town for them.

I had American Family Insurance before I switched to USAA 10 years ago. Both are great companies, but I saved a lot with USAA. Unfortunately, they don't offer coverage in Poland. GEICO does offer coverage in Poland, but I had a bad experience with them and will never deal with them again. I'm currently using Clements International and USAA provides me with a rider for when I drive vehicles in the US for $5/year.

Anybody but GEICO. They are a good company right up until you need to make a claim. I ended up sueing GEICO and winning. Never want to ever do business with them again.

Erie Insurance, but I don't know how many states they operate in. Always the lowest rates I've found. Have them for my house and vehicles both.

I have had State Farm for over 20 years and just switched over to GEICO about a year ago. With GEICO I am saving about $200 every six months and have even more coverage than I did with State Farm. GEICO is able to offer you those savings because they don't have salesmen/agents and have to pay any commissions to agents.

State Farm insurance was very good, however my agent was a jerk and looked for any excuse to charge me more rather than less. Everything was always to his advantange not mine. State Farm gives a lot of multi-car discounts etc, but they just inflate the regular policy prices so it sounds like great deal.

I still have my homeowners insurance with State Farm, but I am seriously looking for another company. State Farm keeps hiking up their rates and reducing coverage.

...Rich

RichardL,

I seriously suggest looking into American Family when you plan on changing your homeowners policy.

Geico gave me a great rate, but AmFam was able to beat that price for three vehicles vs. two I had with Geico.

Tom

Just make sure you comparing coverages correctly. We looked at State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, and Geico and their coverages were less than Safeco for Homeowners, cars and umbrella policies and they were more expensive as well.

Had Travelers for 12 years and no claims, then had my first accident and claim of about $2K and they dropped me. Then I had Allstate for about 8 years and they just kept going up and up...about 10% a year, and that just shouldn't happen as you, and your cars get older and you have no claims or tickets. Finally, I switched to GEICO about 2 years ago, and I am getting more service for less, and it's not going up each year.

TJR