Need Mechanic's advice!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Ford Mustang. It wouldn't start this afternoon. Everything electrical worked, but wouldn't turn over. After several attempts, I let it sit for a couple hours. Finally it cranked over and I was able to drive the 6 miles to get home. The engine is now making a strange noise and drives inconsistently. I just installed a new battery 3 months ago, put in new spark plug wires, and haven't had any problems. Any suggestions? Could it be the starter? the alternator? What would you do? Thanks.

Check the battery cables for clean tight connections.

If that checks. Get the battery tested. That is where I would start.

Turns out it was a loose battery terminal clamp. The screw is rusted, so I can't tighten it. I have to replace the terminal clamp. How difficult is this and do I have to cut/splice the wires? Anyone have step-by-step on the easiest and safest way to do this?

Replacing the terminal is not a very good fix. They usually get corroded and cause more problems in the future. Best to replace the battery cable and get a new terminal clamp.

Not sure what style you have, but you may be able to break it loose with some Liquid Wrench, Kroil, or WD-40 and just install a new screw. Or you may be able to drill it out and put a new bolt and nut on it.

I would work on the old terminal and try to get the screw out before cutting it off to install a new terminal. They are always trouble. Fixing the old terminal would be much cheaper and easier than replacing the cable too- depending on which cable it is and how far it goes.

Good luck.

baking soda and warm water and a good brush cleans battey good and then you should beable to lose the nut with cresent wrench and take it apart if thats the style you have

Kate, your gripes ain't clear enough. What does "making a strange noise" and "drives inconsistently" mean? If I remember right, this car sat for a few months while you were deployed; is that correct? Are all major fluids (coolant, eng oil, PS steering, trans) at correct level? With hood open and engine running can you identify source of the strange noise? What's condition of serpentine belt? If you're having starting issues with a fresh battery, I'd make sure both battery cables are in tip-top shape; maybe replace both. How old is your fuel filter?

Kate, Follow the advice above. Start with the battery connections. Get someone to help you get that bolt loose. Clean 'em up and reconnect. Drive up to Advanced or AutoZone and get the battery and alternator tested. And lastly if the car is not being driven every day, get a good battery tender and hook it up while you're gone. It saves the charge and extends the life of the battery. I speak from experience. A low/damaged/faulty/corroded battery can cause many systems in your car to not act properly. Bob

Latest posts