need info on ethanol

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulette lopez 2

Reaction score
hey everyone the other day i was fueling my ST and i looked on the inside of the gas tank door. and i notice that my 05 ST takes regular unleaded and it can take ethanol. now my question is: how good will my ST run on ethanol? and where can i get ethanol? and is it more expensive than regular gas. and is it much easier on the engine? cause if its cheaper than regular gas then i just might switch to ethanol. and has anyone else use ethanol in your ST. and if you did how did it run? did you notice any difference. hope someone can answer my Questions.

Ethanol is usualy a little cheaper but you will get less MPG...you will get a few more horsepower though....depending were in the country you live, as to haw availible it is..

I run 1/2 tank gas, 1/2 tank ethanol and I see no change in mileage. I live in central Florida and pay about $2.50/gal. There is only one place to get E85 (in Fla) and its at my work area--good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not used it yet. (my wifes '05 mountaineer can use it) It is cheaper than regular gas and with what I've read in the Mountaineer owners manual the computer is to "recognize" the use of Ethanol and adjust so you don't notice any power loss and/or MPG loss. Weither it does or not I don't know. We don't have any neer here to even try it.;)

We have it here in central Kansas as mid-grade 89 octane. It is E-10, 10% alcohol. It is normally a couple cents higher. I have used it and noticed no change in performance form 87 oct. regular unleaded.:)

I live in west central Illinois and thats is the only fuel I use in my st or my wife's-10 blazer. It is 10% ethanol and I get about 17.5mpg in the winter & usually 18.5 to 20 in the spring, summer & fall. Oh and its 89 octane too.

E-10 is compatable with all engines. That is the standard fuel used here. There used to be some stations that used 100% gasloine with no Ethonol, but those are all but gone, if not completely.

E-85 has been proven to give you less MPG. Unless you can get it cheap, or like the feeling of reducing the dependancy with foreign oil, E-85 is not cost effective.

Tom