Need ideas for a sub...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Ok, Sometime before the meet, i need to get a subwoofer goin for my trac....I had a 10w3v2 ported 1.5 cu ft box on my back seat and that was loud, but 1 10 doesnt hit the low notes i like to play like the bass cds, lil jon, trillville, etc. I need to get at least a 12 to play that kind of stuff, so 8s and 10s are out of the question for me.. I have the Jl E1200 amp which is between 200 and 275rms for my sub amp, and i was thinking about doing 2 12w1s ported on the back seat... how does this sound to everyone? It should be low and loud enough for my needs...The space issue doesnt matter to me because i keep my rear seat down 95% of the time anyways. Are there any other subs that are either 12s or 15s that would be good ideas for low loud pounding bass?? I'm mostly just familiar with JL. Also, i think i'll need to stay with a ported box. The sub would have to be about 250-350rms and i dont wanan spend really over $300-350 with box.

Thanks for the help

Andy

if you are going to use that amp what is the point of getting two 12's? You want bigger boom, but that doesnt always mean bigger speakers. More wattage means more power means deeper low notes.

With the amp you mentioned each 12 is only going to get about 100 watts.....100 watts is nothing when alot of 12's require 300-400 or more rms...

underpowering a sub does more damage then overpowering.....

there are alot of factors here

You will get more/ better bass if you just improve your amp. 8's and 10's will provide all the heart bounding bass you want if they are amped properly. A 12 inch or more sub is for show. Put your money into better subs and amps not bigger subs.

I have the new 10" Boston Acoustic w/ a kenwood 600 watt mono amp and thats got more bass then most ppl i know. Just as war eagle said you should go with better components..not bigger.

The 2 most vital things to take into consideration are the design of the box. A proper box for your music listening preference makes the biggest difference. Whether it be ported, bandpass or sealed as long as the box isn't a "pre-fab" box. A box spec'd to your drivers is key.

The second is amplifier power/quality. If you want good, clean, undistorted bass you have to run clean power. Don't go buy an amp that costs 80 bucks and says it puts out 1500 watts, that power is distorted and full of noise, let alone its rated at 1500 watts even tho it probably only produces 150 watts RMS. A good amp for subs is an RMS rating that is equivalent to your drivers or a little higher.

12's vs. 10's vs 8's won't make much difference if they are not in the right box. I had two JL 8W0's in a ported box in my trac and they out performed two 12's in my buddys integra.

I have a 8 under my rear seat running off of a US Amp and it hit's deep. I agree with everyone else, the quality of your amp and the speaker itself, have everything to do with the notes you hit. Good luck on getting some 12's in there.:)

Hm, what are my options with a dual 8 box?

Adam-where did you find/ fit a box with 2 8s ported in your trac? Can you send me measurements? i'd love to have a "stealth" system and be able to use all 5 seats still! dual 8s ported would be nice-8w0s are like 100 rms each so that amp would work i think??

Thanks for all the help guys! The only reason i got that amp is because i got it for about $150 because im good friends with a Jl dealer in my area. It was good for the 10w3 ported i had, but again didnt really fit, and didnt seem to hit the right notes...I feel now that maybe the box size was the problem.

Thanks

Andy

Adam has a nice fglass job on his duals if I remember correctly, I made a dual box out of 3/4" MDF that fits behind the seats, use all my seats like normal. Agree w/the other guys, 8s and 10s will be great in the trac, I'm running two 8" Image Dynamics and can't come close to turning the gains up on them.

Latest posts