Need help with oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckles Martin

Reaction score
i want to go synthetic in the trac what do u all think yes or not need info im thinking of going Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend motor oil any info or input would be grate and how many mil. can u get out of it im changeing my oil ever 5000 is that what i need to do thank you all for help:banana:

I've been using Royal Purple ful synthetic for the past six years, and have noted an increase in mpg; only a couple of mpg, still an increase. I go 12k per change with a filter change and top off every 3k. My next oil change is going to be to Amsoil. So, I say go for it. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcraft oil is very very good stuff. Probably the best oil for the money there is. No BS, but based on many UOA's posted at BobIsTheOilGuy.com. For a 5000 mile change interval it will be fine.

Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend

That is what came from the factory. The blend. Are you meaning full synthetic.?

I run full castrol syntec. 5K with new filter and 1 qt. 10k full change and filter.

Bought my Trac used, at 46K. Have been using Castrol GTX until NAPA recently had a deal on 5 quarts of full synthetic,

(Valvoline) with their premium gold filter (WIX) for $15. ($5 rebate) I am still baffled from the mileage gains.

In two weeks, I have seen at least a 2 MPG increase, and much quieter, and smoother running engine.

Rodger- "Only" a couple MPG increase? From changing conventional to synth motor oil? HUH?

Last edited by a moderator:
RP is good oil. Becoming racers choice. Not worth the cost for street service.

I catch the syntec with K&N filters combo on sale, $25 to $27. Just piced up one the other day with an added $15 rebate. Now I have 3 changes on the shelf.

Steve, In the '70s I raced on GTX dino. Good oil. The '80s went to valvoline syn blend. Ran valvoline full syn in the '94 stang. Got the trac and first change was the motorcraft syn-blend. After that castrol syntec. I catch the prices right on the syntec.

My uncle that was in auto lube research said, cant go wrong with it. When he retired, he said redline was the best. RP hadnt beeen around at that time. He work for Shell. His wife worked in labs for chevron/texaco...odd couple..LOL

Oh also one thing he said was, never, never put any additives in the crankcase, useless. The other thing he said was chevron thecleron is the best off the shelf injector cleaner. And to change up brands of gas from time to to time. Different detergent formulas help.

In his lab they built, tore down and speced motors. Also put them in service on stands and all over. Cop cars Taxis, etc. Then tear them down for specs again.

Rodger- "Only" a couple MPG increase? From changing conventional to synth motor oil? HUH?

I was being conservative. It is more like 4-6 mpg. I have full synthetic in the engine, transmission and differential. I also use the cruise control on the frwy. when ever can which helps a lot. I also run 35 psi. all around in the tires on the ST. I can get 21 - 22 mpg doing 70 mph on the frwy. with the cruise on.

Have read where using the cruise control is not as efficient as your right foot as CC over compensates going up hill, etc., and it is designed to "go" the set speed. With your right foot, you can better control the amount of throttle applied to maintain the desired speed.

I also use amsoil. My last oil change was in Sep of 09. If you use amsoil and the amsoil filter they guarantee their oil for 12 months or 25k miles.

All fluids in my Mustang are Royal Purple. However the guys on Stangnet say it's garbage???? At almost $8 a quart it better not be garbage. I've had no problems with it.

I use Mobile 1 in the ST with 5k interval changes.

Royal Purple says their oil is good for 7500 miles. You'd have to go at least that long to make it worthwhile, but if none of us cared about what was "better" for our vehicles we wouldn't be here and spend extra money on "better" things.

OP's question was if Motorcraft oil changed at 5000 miles was okay, which it is.

Buy on sale, and run whatever API 5w30 you can find (that eliminates RP). It's all good for 5k mi -- as long as your filter isn't orange. :grin:

Latest posts