Need Help with Gas Mileage issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Whitman

Reaction score
Hey guys..... Ok I had parked my TRAC for almost 12 months and its been back on the road for about 3 months now and I have lost alot of Gas Mileage.

Prior to parking it I was getting about 530 to 550 KM per tank.

Since parking it in the last 3 months I am getting about 440 to 460 KM per Tank.

So I know this isn't driving style.... So I am trying to figure out what could be the issue?

Air Filter? Spark Plugs? Injectors?

I just put a new set of tires on and balanced and Aligned. This made no difference... I wasn't thinking it would... But needed tires! :)

Anythings I can try to find that lost 100km

Cheers

Whit

Our trucks always get worse fuel mileage in the winter especially with these extreme cold temps. How many talks have you ran through since driving again? Try putting Stabil in a tank or two and clean the injectors, MAF, IAC and change out the old oil that's been sitting in it. Just some cheap easy suggestions to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been driving it for 3 months... I am going thru 1 tank a week, maybe more.

What is MAF and IAC?

Also its not the weather cause we had a really mild November and December and the Mileage is exactly the same.

It also had an Oil Change the day it was put back on the road.. and 2 more since.

I have not tried any Fuel additives for the injectors.... I will try that this week.

Whit

It's not the outside temps that hurt the fuel mileage in winter it's the winter blend gas that is used. If this is the case there is nothing you can do about it until summer. The 2 biggest contributors to poor fuel mileage are the oxygen sensors and MAF sensor. A dirty Maf sensor will miscalculate the amount of air entering the engine and therefore not supply the correct amount of fuel which results in por fuel mileage. An oxygen sensor that is switching slowly will cause the same thing. The Maf sensor can be cleaned the oxygen sensor can not. Look in th eprojects section and I believe there is a write up on how to clean the Maf sensor...basicially if you can remove 2 screws adn press the nozzle on a spray can you are golden.

You may also have other issues going on that aren't setting a check engine light yet but are hurting the fuel mileage. If it were my I would clean the Maf sensor and see if that worked and if not then find someone that actually knows how to diagnose a vehicle and look at the computer data while operating the vehicle under various conditions...fuel trims don't lie. This will cost you a little but could potentially save hundreds in putting on parts that aren't needed.

The ethenol causes the gas to loose octane rating. Just read an article in this months popular mechanics. They recomended using sta-bil for storage. Since it was parked 3 months. Top it of with fresh gas.

All above is good info also.

Latest posts