1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Need Help Identifying Squeak

Thread in 'Noise, Vibration, Harshness Issues' started by Taylor Corn, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Taylor Corn

Taylor Corn Active Member

My ST is not a pavement princess by any means, but I take care of it to the best of my abilities.

I greased all of my ball joints, tie rod end links, and sway bar yesterday, as well as inspected and tightened everything in the front suspension.

After all was done I still found I have a squeak coming from the from right of the vehicle, which happens when the front right tire is stroked up from a bump, or rocking the vehicle.

I'm wondering if body mounts are the cause, but it seems too high pitch. Maybe control arm bushings? Tell me what to lube and I'll try it.

2. swshawaii

swshawaii Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Sway bar frame bushings checked?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
  3. Taylor Corn

I got those a couple years ago based on this site, and I greased them with this round of treatment.

4. Vic Sorlie

Vic Sorlie Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

About all that's left is control arm and shock absorber bushings. Neither take grease but you might try some penetrating oil.

5. Yardsale

Yardsale Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Year, mileage, maintenance, replaced parts, 4WD?

6. Taylor Corn

2002 150k 4WD all greasable joints up front and all replaced withing last 20k. Rancho shocks all around with their bushings, less than three years old.

If I can identify the squeak I'll replace the part. I do think I'll spray down the control arm bushings just to see if that will isolate them.

I'm thinking front right body mount though. All of my body mounts are rotted and compressed, but I never cared until now if that is going to cause this constant noise. Anyone have experience with them causing noise at age?

7. swshawaii

swshawaii Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Body mounts can be a MAJOR source of squeaks. Four locations with the orange colored MCU foam mounts are almost always the first to fail. Many victims here, do a search.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  8. Yardsale

Yardsale Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

You note that all the (greaseable) joints have been replaced, but not whether the upper or lower control arms have been replaced. I would try lubricating the control arm bushings (water may work for a short period).

I have 243,000 miles on my 2001 4WD and the body mount bushings are about 30% deteriorated; no squeaks (yet). The upper control arm bushings squeak because they are deteriorated and need replacement; it is a high frequency squeak.

9. Dean Hedin

Dean Hedin Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Spray the a-arm bushings top and bottom with some lube. Sway bar links can also squeak. Especially when the rubber blows apart.

10. Taylor Corn

Thank you for all the replies. I will attempt to soak the control arm bushings in lube first, and then just assume body mounts if that doesn't work.

I really appreciate the thoughts!