Need Code Reader or Scan Tool

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Davis

Reaction score
Any recommendations for an instrument that can tell me which O2 sensor is causing the check enginer light to come on? I hoping to find something that costs less than $150.

I am guessing that "bad" O2 sensors are the most frequent cause for a check engine light and I'd like to replace the bad sensor rather than all the sensors.

Go to Advance Auto or Autozone and they'll read the code for free. Come back here and tell us the code. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU COME BACK HERE AND ASK US. They'll try and sell you new plugs and wires, or new O2 sensors, but there's a few little things with the ST that we could help fix and save a bunch of money if that's the problem.

My experience with Fords is that the most popular reasons for check engine lights are either lean codes or egr related codes, although there are about 1000 different things that could trigger the check engine light to come on.

Where are you finding a ScanGauge II for a little over $100?

The best I can find is considerably over $100, more like $160-$185 including shipping. At this price, we are in the range of a ProScan or other type system that can plot & graph data etc. (I am not interested in the gauge features of the ScanGauge II.)

Latest posts