Need backup camera help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan E 2

Reaction score
Need help picking out a backup camera. I purchased a Boss DVD radio and it has the capability of installing a backup camera. The first I like because it is flush mounted and I could install it in the tailgate handle. The second one I like because it has the infared night vision... any thoughts on which one would be best.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34PBX9UKIHZGS

http://www.amazon.com/High-definition-Rear-view-Parallel-Universal-Waterproof/dp/B009NVXGAI/ref=zg_bs_1253823011_1

Also be advised that if you drill into the gate you will not be able to get it in the center. It will be off to the side a little. At least this is the case for Gen 1.

I have a unit that has the LCD mounted in the rear view mirror. Several months after I installed it, the camera in the gate failed. I bought a replacement Chinese import camera off of ebay for about $13 that worked out just fine. It was actually a better camera since it had the grid lines.

In the beginning I thought a rear view camera was a novelty, but now I have come to depend upon it. Very useful if you have a rear cap installed as I do.

I'd agree with the feedback, avoid drilling when necessary because it opens a can of issues down the line for you. For a project like the rear view cam, I would try to keep it as simple as possible in the event you have issues down the line.

Here's another option for you. My back up camera is mounted on a license plate and very unobtrusive.

Outside the vehicle:

[Broken External Image]:

On my headunit:

[Broken External Image]:

I bought it off of eBay but it's a good kit. It's the second one I've own on two different cars. I'll see if I can remember the model number so you can Google it.

I got the camera that was made for my unit.

and I installed it behind the plate. and modified the bumper a bit and the plate.

hole in bumper and camera mounted to plate.

[Broken External Image]:

how it looks out side.. and the reason I picked the spot on the plate was that is where the . on the plate

[Broken External Image]:

I have also heard that one of the F-150 handle backup camera would work.. but not positive.. others would have to speak up it if does..

Latest posts