Need an engine -- what will fit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric C

Reaction score
My '04 is dead :cry:

Had some stalling issues, then it wouldn't start. Long story short, mechanic says the engine is unsalvageable. (Not gonna go into detail, since that's not the point of this thread :)

Anyway...I can't afford a car payment right now, and other than the engine, my Trac is in good shape, so I figure my best bet is to replace the engine. Found a shop that will do it (I don't have the tools, time, or talent to pull it off myself) for a reasonable price...now I just need an engine. So, my question is:

What fits a 2004 Sport Trac XLT Premium 4x4? (Also, not being REALLY knowledgeable on cars, does 4x4 vs. not matter when it comes to the engine itself? Or is that all in the transmission?)

I remember reading years ago that the 1st gen (or maybe just some of the 1st gen) Tracs used the same engine as the Ranger. Any truth to that? Can I easily use a Ranger engine?

I'm looking for a quick out-and-in job for the mechanic. I'm not looking to increase performance, increase/decrease gas mileage, or anything like that. Just want my Trac back and put an end to the hellish two months I've been going through (lost my job, alternator went on the Trac, and now this...oh, but I'm working again, so this is the last piece of the puzzle to getting my life back to where it was :)

If it were me, I'd get more info or a second opinion on the diagnosis... It doesn't sound right. Did he give an exact diagnosis? If it dies due to a timing chain jump or breakage, then it may be good to replace, as the valves are 'prolly bent

to answer the question, a late model 4.0 SOHC engine should fit, provided all of the running gear and electronics are transferred.. ranger, exploder, mazda b4000, navajo all should be the same engine

If you are purchasing from a salvage yard, they either have a book or computer program that will tell them what will match up with your particular vehicle.:driving:

@STanner: I trust my mechanic, and he gave specifics that lead me to believe he's not making it up or going with a kneejerk reaction. He won't do the swap, so it's not like he's looking to make a buck by telling me I need a new engine (or more specifically, that the one I have is toast). He's actually making LESS money by telling me this :)

In fact, now that I think back on the conversation, he even tried to talk me OUT of the replacement engine, saying the cost wasn't worth it given the age and mileage on the truck.

Thanks for the info, folks. If anyone else has any input, I'm all ears. :)

Go for an old 5.0 from a 2nd gen Mounty or Ex. It was a much better engine and if you're already having a shop do the swap you could do that instead.

Cheapest and quickest: Find an engine from a salvage yard for the exact same year and model you have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote: " Go for an old 5.0 from a 2nd gen Mounty or Ex. It was a much better engine and if you're already having a shop do the swap you could do that instead"

that won't be feasable due to emission laws.. :fire::fire::fire:

I agree with STanner, I would need to know the details of what was wrong with the old engine before I would put out a dime for new engine.. There can be so many inexpensive problems that can cause an engine not to start...I just don't buy it.

Next I agree with Gavin, as much as if the engine is truly shot, then an engine from the same year, make and model should be a drop in unless you are dealing with a 2001 model which also had a Job1 early version and a Job 2 later version. That all depends upon the build date. anything built before June 24th 2000 is a Job1. If it was made after that date, it was a Job2.

If everything is fine about your truck, you might even look into having the engine rebuild...either a long block or a short block.

...Rich

Stick with a 4.0 that is at least 2003 or newer, just like Gavin said. The 2003 and newer engines have the revised time chain tensioners. I'd stick with a 2004 or newer if you go the salvage route.

I have an '04. It is worth it to me, if needed. To find a motor. Even if some else installs it. Cheaper than a car note.

Especialy if your trac is in good condition.

Well since the ST is based off the Ranger frame, what'll fit is the 4 cyl, the 3.0L V6, and the 4.0L SOHC. Don't think you'd want the latter of the three, but if you engine swapped? You've got to think about driveshaft length, transmission, transmission hookups, motor, mounts, suspension, ecu, re-wiring, gauges, hvac....there's so much more I can't even mention. Best bet?

Find another SOHC with <75k miles, do an oil change, filter change, thermostat housing, and tranny flush while it's out, and slap that in. Everything would bolt (and plug) right back up.

Coming from a guy who lives with a Ford tech, does all his own work no matter how hard, and has been an ST enthusiast for years. :banana:

He has a 4x4 and from what I have read I1tech has a good point. Better to use an engine from another 4x4 with the balance shaft. Ford had a reason for adding the balance shaft. Why risk another engine failure?