Need advice . . . about AAMCO transmissions flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2005 4X4 Sporttrac XLT. It just approached 62,000 miles and I thought it was time for a transmission flush. Decided to go to a AAMCO because a friend recommended their "Power Purge" transmission flush, complete with new gasket and tranny filter. I had them check the front and rear differential/transfer case as well. Turns out my front differential was very low on fluid and had a leak. So what was supposed to be about $150 turned out to be $400.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Am I getting ripped off? I'd do the work myself, as I do most repairs on my truck, but do not have a lift and this was more involved of a project. AAMCO said they would replace the fluid and make sure the gasket is replaced to keep further leaks from happening . . . What do you think? I want my truck to "live" forever! Any comments or advice is appreciated. This website is such a great resource!

Kate,

A typical Transmission flush runs about $85 to $130 depending on the place that does the flush and the type of transmission fluid your transmission requires.

I have had both of my Sport Trac transmission's flushed and replaced with 100% Synthetic Mercon-V for $85 each time at a local Kwik-Car Lube Center.

The advantage of a transmission flush is that it replaces nearly 199% of the old fluid and does not require dropping the transmission pan and replacing the filter. If AAMCO replaced your filter and pan gasket, it should have not cost you more than about $150-$175 and even that is a rip-off.

It sounds like they sold you a few bottles of snake oil to clean the transmission (not needed, and not recommended) just to puff up the bill a little more

Of course if your transmission gasket was leaking then there is probably no harm in replacing the filter while you were at it. but a leak in the transfer case nor does a transmission flush require the transmission pan to be removed. A transmission flush connects a machine to the transmission cooling lines and as the old fluid is pumped out, it pushes new fluid back into the transmission at the same rate. It generally uses a bit more fluid than the transmission actually holds to ensure all the old fluid is flushed out. My Sport Trac's required 14 quarts of new fluid and I think the transmission only holds about 10 quarts.

My personal opinion is that they took you for a ride and added more work to the job than was probably necessary, and overcharged you for the flush.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the opinion Rich. I do understand these companies inflate prices SO drastically that getting ripped off is going to happen. I was ok paying $150 for a complete 99% flush, new gasket, new filter. But then the front differential had a leak and now I'm paying $400 for them to replace the fluid and gasket (and I'm sure the majority is the labor). The mechanic told me that if my front differential continued to leak, eventually the gears would fail and I'd be looking at about a $1000 repair to fix it . . . true?

I know more than the average girl about auto mechanics, but when it comes to transmissions and gears, that's when I go to the experts . . . you guys! Thanks!

It is a fair amount of work to get to the front differential on the IFS front end. If you're in doubt about the value of what they are offering, ask for a breakdown for labor based on job. You can google search the repair and get some ideas. Call around and check with different shops. Like any business, auto repair shops are out to make a profit. They are certainly entitled to make a living. You are also entitled to shop around. $250 pay sound like a lot for front diff service, but at $70/hr labor it's about a 3.5 hour job. I don't think they are out of line.

As far as damage, $1000 is a fair estimate for replacement, imho.

In my town. AAMCO are known rip offs. Back in the days when automatics were simpular. As long as no hard parts were damaged. They could read a fish.

They were known have droped the pan make some band adjustments new fluid with special additives. Clean the trans housing real good. Tell the customer they rebuilt it. Only 30day warranty back then. It would last long enough to keep your $$. If it didnt last 30days. Then they would pull it under their warranty. But they were known to pad the bill for, not broke hard parts. They already had your $$ from the first time, fake rebuild kit.

They didnt care if you came back.

The last person I know personaly, that used our local ammco. Was a freind from work, 15or more years ago. Trans rebuild on an early tarus cratered, during warranty. He went elsewhere for the next rebuild. He had gotten run around from ammco. The new place told him it wasnt rebuilt, just patched up. I wish he had asked me about ammco first.

I have usually got better rebuilds and service from a recomended independent, vs a chain. Plus on my performance cars they would trick out the valve body, and still warranty it.

Does' it sound like I dont trust ammco??????? Even my second ex wouldnt' listen to me and got shafted by them. Another town, different ammco maybe a different story.

112,000 and have not had 1 problem with my transmission with original factory fluid. Too many past experiences with fluid change and transmission going out before I even get home. I'll drive it this way until it does go out.

Transmission flushes are dangerous and could cause problems. But if you always kept routine service on transmission change intervals, you are okay. I just drops the pan change filter then add new fluid.

ebock,

Transmission flushes are dangerous and could cause problems

That's just not true. A simple tranny flush only replaces the old fluid with fresh fluid...that cannot cause problems.

Where people make mistakes is using the wrong tranny fluid...typically a universal fluid which is a No No. The other mistake is letting some transmission flush jockey convince you that you need to use there special snake oil cleaner. You don't need any additives or cleaners, just the proper Mecon-V fluid or a 100% compatible synthetic. Just don't use a universal fluid (one kind for all transmissions)

The only shops that don't recommend a transmission flush are the ones that don't have a transmission flush machine. You are 5 times more likely to have problems with a conventional fluid/filter change with pan gasket leaks or other problems created by the idiots trying to adjust the bands, etc that they are charging you for an unneeded service.

People who complaint that they had a transmission flush and then the tranny failed afterwards often were way past the service interval when they detected some transmission shifting/slipping malfunction and then went in for the tranny flush hoping it would fix the problem...when it didn't they blame the failure on the transmission flush and claim the tranny was fine before the flush....ya, right!

Even Pat Doss of TV's MotorWeek has been pushing transmission flushes over fluid changes for many years now.

Both of my Sport Trac tranny flushes were done at a local shop where I watched the entire procedure, and noted that they were using a quality brand name fluid. (Pennsoil 100 % synthetic Mecercon-V compatible fluid) They even gave a 6 month 6K mile warranty on their work.

....Rich

Yea. Everybody has their own opinion. Being that i have a new truck imma just stay on the safe side because many shops around me are kiddie certified and they are out to make money.

I believe (not arguing with you) that i had a old ford taurus, it had grime and stuff in transmission. The flush loosen stuff up in their and caused the transmission to slip. But who was to say the flush was the blame IDK?

ebock,

You bring up a good point that I failed to mention: I don't recommend a transmission flush on high mileage vehicles that have not had regular transmission flushes or fluid changes.

If you start a new vehicle with regular transmission flushes you should never have the problem you experienced with your old Taurus...and that's why I am against using any kind of cleaner, or flushing agents...just fresh tranny fluid of the proper type for that vehicle. A fluid flush only changes the old dirty fluid with fresh fluid. It has no detergent action so it will not remove anything from the transmission execept the dirt and contaminate that are held in suspension in the fluid as weill as the old burnt fluid...but that's what can harm your transmission. Unlike engine oil, transmission fluid does not contain any combustion byproducts that forms the dirt and sludge you find inside an engine.

Transmission's enemy is heat. Transmission fluid contains small particles of friction material from the internal bands and clutches. If you dod not flush or change the fluid regularly, these particles can contaminate the fluid to the point that the transmission will start to slip slightly. This slipping generates heat, which damages the fluid and causes the transmission to slip a little more and sets up a vicious cycle of heat/slipping/more heat, etc

Burnt fluid can also lead to varnish-like coating inside the transmission that cause sticking valves in the valvebody that lead to sluggish shifting and more slipping. All of this is usually a very slow process and most people don't know that the transmission is being damaged very slowly.

If you do not regularly flush or change your transmission fluid you cannot blame a flush for damaging your transmission, it was probably just coincidence or you let them use some kind of cleaner solvent as part of the flush, which I would never recommend.

And yes, the universal fluids (one fluid for all transmissions) might work OK for Dextron type fluids, but they do not seem to be a good substitute for Mercon-V.

It is always wise to be informed of what the shop is going to do rather than assume they are right or even care.

...Rich

Thanks, You should be a mechanic if you are not already one. You are very knowledgeable. Im goin to start on my new sport trac. while mileage is very low.

I too have a 2005 ST. When I felt it was time to have service on the tranny, I took it to a local shop that I have used for years. (The shop is owned by the 1st Woman Transmission Mechanic - Lucille Treganowan) Really Top Of the Line !

I thought that I would get a flush and be on my way.

The mechanic stated that according to his knowledge, flushing on this type (ST) of tranny is not advised. He stated that..."Pieces of the filter disintegrate during the flush and down the road become an issue !"

His advice...Drop the pan and change the filter and fluid ! About $ 130.00 .

No issues as of late with 75,000 miles.

Bill,

That is total BS. I would be willing to bet that the shop does not even have a flush machine! A flush machine uses the transmissions pump to pump the old fluid out and lets the transmission's pump pressure push new transmission fluid back into the transmission just like the transmission normally does. It cannot damage the filter any more than driving down the road can.

Nothing is different than just driving down the road...The transmission flush machine is just two reservoirs separated by a piston. The pressure of the old fluid getting pumped out of the transmission into one reservoir is used to push the piston which moves the exact same amount of fresh fluid back into the transmission. No pressure difference, no back flushing (which is a total myth) and no need for any cleaners or solvents. It just replaces about 99% of the old fluid with fresh fluid, which is about twice the fluid changed when you drop the pan.

Shops that try to scare people from having their tranmissions flushed don't have a transmission flush machine (expensive single function device) Like I said before, you are at least 5 times more likely to have problems letting a shop do the conventional drop-the-pan fluid change then getting a transmission flush which just connects to the transmission cooling lines...100% guaranteed not to cause a transmission pan leak.

...Rich

I had a full transmission service performed at 62K. McKenna Ford Hawaii changed the filter

and proceeded to flush with 20 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V. The tech said the Ford "lifetime"

fluid is very risky, he had seen too many cases of neglect and failed 5R55 type transmissions.

He used a very cool BG flush machine and did not recommend any cleaners or additives,

saying the Mercon V is that good. The complete service was $200, a great investment IMO.