Need a sanity check re: tire sizing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Turner

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been reading up on tires, tire sizing (regular & plus), spacers, lifts, etc. It's been an excercise in information overload, but I think I've finally settled on some possibilities and I'd appreciate a sanity check and any advice you good folks can offer.

So the current (I'm guessing OEM?) tires are 245/65-17s. Just highway-types, though I've successfully taken them places they were never meant to! But after a lot of undesired slipping and slidding, and a little slipping into the ditch on a muddy forest service road this past weekend, I've decided that it's time for some new tires. My objectives here are: a more aggressive tread (A/T, M+S, etc), taller tires (a little improved clearance would be nice), not *super* pricey.

My current top picks are:

Falken Wild Peak A/Ts in either LT245/75 or LT245/70 http://m.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/WildPeak-A-T-17

Falken High Country A/Ts in either LT265/70 or P255/70 (the max per the myST FAQ) http://m.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/High-Country-All-Terrain-15

Is there any safety or mechanical reason I should avoid the 245/75s?

I've also looked at BFGs (pretty darned $$) and Hankook Dynapros (China owns enough of us already). Any other suggestions?

I'm hoping to get away with larger tires with minimal rubbing, but I think spacers can fit into the budget if need be, though a lift will definitely have to wait. Any thoughts on spacer necessity & proper sizing, should they be needed?

Thanks for the help! :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
245/75's will be the same width but a little bit taller. My neighbor has a regular Explorer with 265/70-17's and they apparently fit although they sure do fill up the fenders.

Mine has the same size tires as yours, I replaced the crappy OE tires with Firestone Destination A/T's in the stock size and I like them real well. Frankly there isn't a whole lot of selection in the 245/65-17 size. I was going to get the same tires in a taller 245/70-17 next time but I had a major flat when I was on vacation and had to buy a new one (1), so I'm just going to buy three more soon.

Hiya! Thanks for the reply, Johnny! Hope you get to end up in the shoes you want! :supercool:

I have another stupid idea to bounce off of ya...

I'm going to have to replace the spare tire (stock size), lest I damage the transfer case, hubs, my own peace of mind, etc.

Is it worth looking around for a 5th stock/OEM 17" wheel to mount the 5th tire on and be my "spare"... a "working spare" so to speak ... so that I can work it into my normal tire rotation? (I rotate abt every 4k mi, when I do oil filter or full oil changes. Just keeps me in the habit.)

I would think it'd make the 'lot of 'em drive ~25% further (same cost/mi, or less, w/ inflation), plus i'd know that my spare was worn evenly with the rest of the tires and was recently checked for pressure & wear and road-tested for balance.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
1, I don't think the factory aluminum wheels will fit on the spare tire hoist under the bed. I never tried it, but the center hole in the wheel looks smaller than on the steel spare wheel and I'd be surprised if the wheel holder thingy on the end of cable would go through it. 2, you would need to see if a larger tire would fit into the spare tire well. This is why Johnstone (R.I.P), Jerry Gerner, etc. have the spare mounted on the roof. 3, while you don't want a different size spare with locking axles, I don't know how or if that would affect the traction control system, but I don't think you'd want to run it all the time.

i had the hankook dynapros on my ranger best tires ive ever had and when i need to replace my tires on my st they will be dyna pros again they wear great and are great in snow.

I got Pirelli Scorpion ATR (31.x10.5x15) for $670 with lifetime balancing and rotation at National Tire and Battery. Really agressive tread and no highway noise and comfortable ride.

I'm getting ready to have a local guy order 4 Falken High Country ATs for my ST. The Firestone Destination ATs are all worn out. The Destinations were used when I put them on at about 75-80k and the OD on the truck says close to 142k. I beleive I got my money outta them.

This guy quoted me a price of $678.23 for 4 tires, disposal of old tires, tax and all the other bs. Really wanted the General Grabber AT2s, Cooper Discoverer ATRs or the Cooper Discoverer AT3s but thes Falkens are gonna save me at least $100 so I will try them out. And on top of the savings I will be helping out a local small business owner.

Latest posts