Need a new project

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
Trac is getting older...about 70K miles now. No intent to do anything to it. Finished 1,000 sq.ft. lower level in house. Need to build deck next. But.......I need a fun project.......one that will blow me away........I need [want really] one of these. Only problem is not having $30K of extra money laying around. Oh well, can always dream. Oh, anybody here got one of these? If so, lets hear about it.

[Broken External Image]:

Mark Houlhan (I can never spell his name right) of Mark & Dawn is nearly finished building his. He used a Factory Five kit and is looking spectacular.

You don't need $30K to build one, was talking to a guy Saturday with one, again, a Factory Five kit, and you could probably build one for under $20K. I think he said it was around $15K for the kit, and you supply the drivetrain and other mechanical bits that can be gotten from a donor car.

I persoanlly want to build a Porsche 550 Spyder replica. Can get a kit for $12K and donor car for <$2K. A lot less common then the Cobra, and a bit better looking.

I looked at factory Five and they make a great kit car. Hurricane and FF5 are the leaders for Cobra replicas. Both are very good. I've done some detail pricing and it's really hard to get below about $27K when you ad the engine, transmission, wheels, tires, and paint. The paint cost is an eye opener if you want a really good job. We're not talking Earl Schibe or Macco on one of these. Here's what I have found for the Hurricane. Kit price includes desired options. FF5 cost would be a bit higher since it would have to include shipping. I can drive to Hurricane and bring it home myself.

Kit 19250

Engine 3209

Transmission+DS 1000

Clutch 170

Whees/Tires 1000

Paint 2500

Hurricane is a bit easier to build too.

Check out Factory Five too. They have some other very nice kit cars. It's not unusual for guys to spend over $40K on their Cobras when they go for the really high performance crate engines and super paint jobs.

Hmmm, I coulda sworn that guy told me he could built another Factory Five Cobra in under $20K. He never told me how much he paid, only that he was selling it for $45K.

The more I look at these kit cars, the more I ache for the 550.

I'm hoping to build a FFC in a few years, they say it can be built for about 17-18K if you just use the basic kit and utilize all parts available from the donor car. I don't think I'm even gonna get a donor car if I build one, I just can't see building that car using 15-20 year old parts. The amount of time and money spent cleaning up and refreshing so many of them just doens't seem worth it to me.

Iam jealous..I will probably just have to pay one of you guys to drive me around the block.:lol:

Ooooohhh I love those cars!! I will own one someday. I did get to drive an actual Cobra, very nice. The 427 was in a crate, and it had an all aluminum Jack Rousch built 351 in it for daily driving. Still not shabby! :cool:

For now I'll have to enjoy my Magnaflow enhanced V8 in the ST. :rolleyes: