Need a new Laptop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i run xp on my mac, just incase i need a software that wont run it, i dont know that i would ever use vista. i just cant get used to it.

One of the best things that Apple has done recently is to replace the old Mac OS with a new one based on BSD, a Unix clone similar to, and largely compatible with, Linux. That went hand-in-hand with the other best thing, which was ditching the old CPU in favor of an Intel unit. In other words, Macs became better by becoming more like PCs with Linux. Not incidentally, this is why they are finally able to run Windoze apps reasonably well. I think it's telling to note that there never has been the same need nor interest among the PC community to run Mac software as vice-versa.

Unfortunately, talking computers with a Mac enthusiast is a lot like talking religion with Tom Cruise. Be ready for a lot of jumping up & down on couches and talk about Thetan levels. :) OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but not much more so than the hype you get from Mac users.

Macs get the job done and may be better for people who are sure that they're not inclined to tinker. PCs also get the job done and still have a significant advantage in the sheer number of applications available.

My wife's HP/Compaq PC has been running Vista for over a year with no problems. It's different than XP; not necessarily better or worse, IMO, except I think XP is easier to use. If I bought a new PC or laptop now, I'd install XP SP2 if I had an extra copy laying around. Otherwise, I wouldn't be afraid to use Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, talking computers with a Mac enthusiast is a lot like talking religion with Tom Cruise. Be ready for a lot of jumping up & down on couches and talk about Thetan levels. :) OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but not much more so than the hype you get from Mac users.

Mac users and AMSOIL salesmen.

Seriously though, I am sure a Mac is a great computer. It just will not be coming home with me.

Anyone one elses thoughts on the two I listed above?

I like the one with the larger screen. I am sure it will run fast enough for me, but give me a larger window to look at.

SO-DIMM DDR2 memory is cheap, so I could yank 512 MB and install a 1 GB chip for next to nothing. Also, since it is an older PC, I could install Win XP on it.

Is it possible to dual boot XP and Vista? I know XP and 9X were simple to dual boot, I am just wondering about Vista and XP.

Tom

Of the two listed, I would favor the larger screen model, although the max RAM seems a bit skimpy at 2GB- Vista needs a lot of that to run well, if you will use it at some point. I buy my PCs at Dell's EPP site- its officially for employees/affiliates, but if you don't have a number you just scroll down the list of occupations listed and it works fine. Standard discount is 6%, but they run specials which can more than double that. My hard loaded XPSM1530 was about $400 cheaper than the standard Dell site at $1500- but thats w/200Gig 7200 Rpm HD, 1900x1124 screen, 4G RAM, MS office, latte frother, etc.....have fun!:cool:

How about this Gateway Caymen? I especially like the 3GB of DDR2 system memory it comes with. The more memory for running Vista the better. And I like that it's expandable for up to 4gb. Many laptops limit you to 2.

And the red will go with your ST!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dells "Vostro class" business machines and the best part

is they can still be had with windows XP and dell said they

are still going to offer assistance fo the OS after microsfot

stops.