Need A New Electric Shaver: Braun 7 or 5 Series?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
This morning as I was shaving my current 6-7 year old Braun electric shaver decided to die on me. It really sucked! I had just gotten through all the neck hair and was about to start on the face. Thankfully, I had a Mach3 sitting around to finish the job. I was a little annoyed at having to use my Fiance's girly shaving cream but ...well...it really does feel silky smooth...kinda liked it lol.

I'm looking to replace this unit with another Braun and I've found some great reviews on the new Braun 7 and 5 series. They seem like they perform the best on one's neck. That is the most important aspect for me. My neck hair and chin hair are a pain in the butt!

I really like the "cc" models with the cleaning station.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased one of these and I was hoping to get some feedback.

I used to use a razor but they make my skin break out. That and it's not as "green" as an electric shaver. Not even close. When you factor in the frequent blade replacement costs, shaving cream etc...

I actually save more money with the electric razor than I did with a Mach3. I went through one blade a week and the package of blades alone was more than the electric blade replacement cost. I go through one electric blade every 2-3 months. They use almost nothing for power consumption and I don't need to use shaving cream or even water. They are faster and make a far smaller mess.

You have never had a better shave until you go to the badger and the blade:cool:

mach 3 blade lasts me 3 weeks (and I shave every day, that includes my skinhead, use a gillette head blade for the dome)

40Z bar of shaving soap, lasts 3 mos.

Messy, yep, but oh so satisfying:banana:

stick with the mach 3, or the fusion! there is a plastic part for the flexing head that comes from my fathers company! ;) support a fellow S/T family :)

Psycareyo,

If blades make you break-out, then you are probably doing it wrong. No offense.

I would cut myself up with pinprick nicks that then healed into a rash whenever shaving with a "cheap" disposable blade, or with a more expensive triple or quad blade that has gone dull.

And I don't even have sensitive skin.

But, since using Quattro and Mach 3, and Edge gel for sensitive skin I've nary a problem.

When I used a Norelco and Remington electric razors I was constantly causing skin irritations.

Frankly, if you have the time, I suspect Bill Barber's suggestion of going green with badger brush, shave soap AND A REAL straight-razor, is everyone's best bet.

When I retire I'm going for it.

TJR

lol I would except that razors kill my face and neck. I don't know why. My facial hair is really thick and corse. That's why I could only use a blade a week. They would dull like crazy. Even brand new and ultra sharp, they still irritated my skin.

Actually, if I let my facial hair grow out for a couple days, it's much easier to shave with a razor. I used to do this in high school since I really didn't have much of a professional reason to shave. Once I started college I started shaving every day. Eventually the daily shaving led me to the electric shaver.

TJR,

I used to use the Edge sensitive skin shaving gell also. I think back then it had a red or orange cap. I tried everything. I used the Sensor Excel blades and then I switched to Mach3 when it first came out. Forever, I shaved against the direction of growth and that was not good. It just destroyed my skin and I broke out into a pizza lol. I then started going with the growth and that was a little better on irritation but it was actually worse on break outs.

I tried it again about 3 years ago, for about a month, and the results were the same.

I've never tried a 4 blade razor but I'm pretty sure I'm not shaving "incorrectly." I mean...It's not like I'm bearing down on the razor with any force that could damage my skin as a result. I let the blade do the work and I tried to be as gentle as possible on my neck. The only time it didn't bother me was when my hair was 3- 4 days long on my neck.

I've shaved in the shower for years and use only regular bath bar AFTER first washing my face and head once. (TMI?) By then it is softened up and the Mach 3 takes it right off. Smooooooth

Anyone ever found a shower shaving mirror that really doesn't fog up? I've tried a few and even the ones with water running thru them fog.

buzz-cut:)

Well I was looking forward to some good reviews as I've always been interested in going back to an electric if I can find one that does the neck good. We now know how everyone shaves here, but know nothing more about Braun razors!:):)

By the way psycareyo, I bet you sure did smell pretty that day!

Never used a shower mirror, but I shave in the shower. Just go by feel. If it feels bristly, shave it. If not, you're done!

Try the Gillette Fusion (4 blade, non-powered version). I used the Mach3 for a long time with the Edge gel, and I would get a lot of bumps on my neck. I switched to the Fusion when it came out and I now shave with ONLY water and get zero bumps. I've got very coarse hair as well, and it grows in many different directions, which makes electric razors dang near useless for me. I can easily get 2-3 weeks out of a blade. As for the blade cost, I just ordered 32 blades from ebay for $50 shipped, that'll last me about 2 years! I typically shave right after taking a hot shower to soften the hair, but I can still get a bump free shave if I'm careful just by wetting my face.

Mike has the 8000 braun series, got 20 months out of the screen before replacing. it also has the cleaner cartridge. I can say it has lasted longer than any other razor he has owned (i'm sure the cleaning process helps alot!)

Good luck~

Sondra

I ended up buying a Braun Series 5 (590cc). It's just about the same as the Series 7 but without the Pulsonic feature. I didn't want a Pulsonic.

The stupid shaver retails for like $250. I got it on eBay for $150 shipped. I'll probably give it a month and then write a review.