Need a motor! :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Member DB has a lonnnng thread on engine replacement. It's not gone well for him:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1336418

Proceed with caution. You might want to include getting a quote from Ford in your repair prep.

Yeah Vic's correct I have had a nightmare! I'd suggest letting the dealer do this one. I certainly would have in hindsight! Its not THAT much more compared to the hassle and headaches and I got a quote from my local dealer to R&R the longblock of $5200. This if FOR SURE not something to allow a local mechanic to take on unless you MAKE SURE you know their capability, they have a CLEAN shop, are organized and that you know EXACTLY what the warranty terms are. :banghead:

Not a bad idea IF you have the capability, tools, etc to do it. Book calls for around 20 hours IF you have everything you need to do it. Pretty aggressive job for most mechanics I'd say. :banana:

is the engine bad? remove the plugs to let the water out and turn over, do a comp check. if it suck water at low RPM, it may be ok

It's a weekend job to change if you have the engine hoist, not really that bad. Labour cost is $220 an hour up here so the only way I would ever swap an engine is in my own garage.

Depending on how you ingested water, this could be a covered claim under your auto insurance. Does not address the debate about who should do the repair but could address who is paying for it.

Latest posts