Need a battery for generator

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I bought a generator for power outages since I live on the Texas coast.

Went to Auto Zone and O'rielys'. Generator has 13hp elctric start. Requires minumum of 70cranking amps. The Holder will hold only 7'long x 3' wide battery. The main problem is niether place could tell me the cranking amps on any of the small batterys. Any battery I found that would fit was so small I question the cranking amps. This generator is Harbor Freight brand. So they dont list it in the book. Also harbor freight cant help either.:blink:

Any Ideas as someplace to look that knows their batteries. Be nice to get a good price. Some of the batteries I looked at cost as much as a 3yr car battery..:wacko:

Since you wont be starting it under a load, it takes no more power than that needed to start a 13HP riding mower. I think would look at a good quality riding mower battery and call it good. JMO.. Dave

Dave the problem there is the battery holder on the generator is only 7" long and 3" wide.I may have to cut it off and modify. But I have a 2 yr warranty. they might frown on modding.

Hmm.. Perhaps a Motorcycle battery?

Edit: Yep, seems a motorcycle battery might be right. Found this one close to your measurements, and it has 300 CCA. You might find a cheaper one locally though.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcycle, riding mower, golf cart or cheap car battery jump starter. Connect the charged jump starter to the right connections, start the generator, then plug the jump starter into the generator to recharge.

Latest posts