Nasty ol' E-85

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance that over time just like with regular gas that E85 will become more effiencent?

I guess it's more of a speculation of how long it will take until it happens to be equal with regular gas..

Did you see on the news the wheat shortedge? All the corn that is being grown for E85, is sucking up the farm land. E85 is not even that much available in most areas. So in the end what is the difference in paying for gas or $10 for a loaf of bread....:angry:

Wow--good for sweden. They aren't chief grain exporters who cater to the world market by growing E85-able corn, and then drive their own country into a wheat deficency, are they?

We even give thousands of tonnes of grain away to worthless nations, that's how benevolent and market-catering we are.

(http://www.fas.usda.gov/export-sales/corn-sorghum-soybeans.html)

What's good for Sweden, and the rest of the good ol eastern europe bloc is not automatically good for America.

Saab sucks--not only does it seem that all of their cars are turbocharged for inflated ratings and that they have keys that are hard to copy, but their emergency brake locks the front wheels, and wtf is the point of that?

HP isn't everything, in fact it has been proven time and again on this very forum to be a 99% worthless measure of performance.

Most people would be amazed to know that corn being grown for alternative fuel is using up oil as fast to grow it as we are using it in our vehicles. It would not even be practical if it wasn't being heavily subsidized by our government (ie: your tax dollars). And it's ruining our soils which in turn will cost you more in the future at the grocery store.

If you have never read the book Omnivore's Dilemma, then you should do so. Pay attention to what Fast Eddie is referring to. It's only the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said in another post, the production of ethanol wastes another precious resource.....water. It takes a TON of water to produce ethanol, I used to live right by a plant. I watched the local ethanol plant use so much water that no one could even wash their car or water their lawn. Government subsidies are driving this monster. Hopefully the next administration can ax it. Ethanol can be produced from anything that produces alchohol by fermentation. It just happens that corn yields the best results. Milo is a close second. The Bush administration is so blind or stupid of the big picture. Kind of like some of his other policies. I'll repeat my prediction. In 5-7 years, no one will even remember what ethanol was for. Or we'll all be paying $6 a gallon to get 10mpg.

Unfortunately we do not use E85 fuel to it's full potential so the gas mileage is not good because these flex fuel engines are gasoline first, e85 second. With E85's very high octane rating, 100-105, there is much more power to be gained when using E85, but auto makers aren't tapping that extra power because E85 can work in a lower compression engine but of course premium gas (91) would not be able to run in a very high compression engine regardless of timing.

Comparing the MPG of a flex fuel vehicle with E85 vs. gasoline is not a fair comparison, give me two engines with each engine specifically built for each fuel and then it will be a fair comparison. Unfortunately gasoline is so standard and E85 is barely catching on that it would be quite a risk for any auto company to make an E85 only engine.

E85 still has gasoline in it, or some other hydrocarbon to make up the other 15%.

So we suck up corn, water, and gasoline to make a substitute for....gasoline. Somehow, this process just doesn't seem efficient ;)

People say that Canada is more "environmentally conscious" than USA, with their famous clean air, and yet they only have THREE e85 stations. That speaks volumes.