n/a

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, even more food for thought...this time, "brain" food.

An excerpt from the Wired Magazine article I mentioned in another thread, and link to full article below...

An Epidemic of Fear: How Panicked Parents Skipping Shots Endangers Us All

By Amy Wallace October 19, 2009 | 3:00 pm | Wired Nov 2009

To hear his enemies talk, you might think Paul Offit is the most hated man in America. A pediatrician in Philadelphia, he is the coinventor of a rotavirus vaccine that could save tens of thousands of lives every year. Yet environmental activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. slams Offit as a biostitute who whores for the pharmaceutical industry. Actor Jim Carrey calls him a profiteer and distills the doctors attitude toward childhood vaccination down to this chilling mantra: Grab em and stab em. Recently, Carrey and his girlfriend, Jenny McCarthy, went on CNNs Larry King Live and singled out Offits vaccine, RotaTeq, as one of many unnecessary vaccines, all administered, they said, for just one reason: Greed.

Thousands of people revile Offit publicly at rallies, on Web sites, and in books. Type pauloffit.com into your browser and youll find not Offits official site but an anti-Offit screed dedicated to exposing the truth about the vaccine industrys most well-paid spokesperson. Go to Wikipedia to read his bio and, as often as not, someone will have tampered with the page. The section on Offits education was once altered to say that hed studied on a pig farm in Toad Suck, Arkansas. (Hes a graduate of Tufts University and the University of Maryland School of Medicine).

Then there are the threats. Offit once got an email from a Seattle man that read, I will hang you by your neck until you are dead! Other bracing messages include You have blood on your hands and Your day of reckoning will come. A few years ago, a man on the phone ominously told Offit he knew where the doctors two children went to school. At a meeting of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an anti-vaccine protester emerged from a crowd of people holding signs that featured Offits face emblazoned with the word terrorist and grabbed the unsuspecting, 6-foot-tall physician by the jacket.

I dont think he wanted to hurt me, Offit recalls. He was just excited to be close to the personification of such evil. Still, whenever Offit gets a letter with an unfamiliar return address, he holds the envelope at arms length before gingerly tearing it open. I think about it, he admits. Anthrax.

So what has this award-winning 58-year-old scientist done to elicit such venom? He boldly states in speeches, in journal articles, and in his 2008 book Autisms False Prophets that vaccines do not cause autism or autoimmune disease or any of the other chronic conditions that have been blamed on them. He supports this assertion with meticulous evidence. And he calls to account those who promote bogus treatments for autism treatments that he says not only dont work but often cause harm.

As a result, Offit has become the main target of a grassroots movement that opposes the systematic vaccination of children and the laws that require it. McCarthy, an actress and a former Playboy centerfold whose son has been diagnosed with autism, is the best-known leader of the movement, but she is joined by legions of well-organized supporters and sympathizers.

the rest of the article linked below...

I didn't read through everything that people linked here, but I see no reason not to vaccinate your kids. When I was growing up, I got all of the vaccinations, and I've turned out to be a normal healthy adult. The worst sickness I've had is Mono. I will get all of my kids vaccinated. I did notice one of the posts mentions that there might be a correlation to autism and vaccines, but I thought that was debunked that myth?

Andy,

Read what I posted when you can...it debunks the myth that vaccines cause autism, and talks about the few vocal vaccine naysayers that are putting us all at risk with their junk science.

TJR

If you want to take your medical advice from Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy, you deserve what-ever sickness you get. You can also include Suzanne Sommers in that group. Whack-jobs all of them...

If you want to take your medical advice from Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy, you deserve what-ever sickness you get. You can also include Suzanne Sommers in that group. Whack-jobs all of them...

Les, I agree--but the problem with the "they deserve whatever sickness they get" approach is that by not vaccinating, not only are they endangering their own kids, but they are endangering others as well, both vaccinated and not. So unfortunately, by taking such actions, not just they, but the rest of us as well, will be getting what only they deserve.

I agree with les. vaccinations are absolutely important. Sorin - all websites you linked are .com sites. not acceptable in the medical community. try searching medical databases or better yet go to the World Health Organization's website and do some research, i guarantee your position will be drastically changed. I will be the one to say it - you are misguided in your opinions on vaccinations and i personally would appreciate it if you stop posting this garbage about how they are bad. thats all it is is garbage you are adding to this board. ;) . unless you have more medical knowledge than myself and other members on this board, i would suggest you get your facts straight before trying to display this nonsense. :p

Big Pharma? Really? Does anyone pronounce that to hear how ludicrous it sounds? Second only to "Big Dairy" and how they have a global conspiracy to make you drink milk since milk is costly, and (the protesters claim) detrimental to your health.

"biostitute"? Is that a portmanteau of Biologist and Prostitute? Seriously, people need better pejoratives.

they'll keep inventing diseases, poison you with unnecessary medication, vaccinating you to maintain the customer base as numerous as possible.

That's just a bit ludicrous, friend. By that logic all companies can be said to be creating artificial demand for their products by malicious, underhanded techniques. Is "Big Pizza" going to spike their product with addiction-forming drugs?

Are cars going to die within a year so that we have to keep buying more? (GM tried this, GM died)

Are Microsoft and Apple going to cause old versions of their OS to die so that you have to buy the latest installments? Everyone knows we can't trust Big IT.

The only thing we can't trust is Big Government, and those who complain about "big" this and "big" that, are generally the people who make government bigger :(

Last edited by a moderator:
So, please refrain from labeling people, honestly, you don't know what you are talking about.

I know enough to know these people have no clue what they are talking about. Really, Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carrey or Suzanne Sommers, MD. This type of person is more likely to endanger others than help them. As Bill V states, one of the best reasons to vaccinate your child is also to protect others. Although, if your child is vaccinated and someone else's child is not, you are only endangering those individuals not vaccinated much like yourself. And of course you will blame the other parent for your child's sickness. The best reason to vaccinate school-age children is they spread more diseases than any other population.

HEALTHY PEOPLE DON'T NEED MEDICATION!!!

HEALTHY PEOPLE DON'T TAKE MEDICATIONS !!!

Last time I checked, a vaccination is preventitive medicine, not a medication.

Vaccines WORK!

Until Salk and Sabin produced the first effective polio vaccine in the early 1950's, every hospital had wards filled with survivors of paralytic polio -- all of whom depended on "iron lungs" (a type of mechanical ventilator) to breathe. Since the vaccine came into widespread and routine use, paralytic polio has been almost unheard of in developed countries. In fact, polio has nearly been eradicated, just as smallpox has; unfortunately, there has been a recent resurgence of polio in parts of Africa, mainly in areas where vaccination has been incomplete -- or worse, discouraged by leaders with no appreciation of the risks of not vaccinating children.

Regarding just one of the claims in Sorin's 2nd link:

Case 2: The initial batches of Dr. Jonas Salk's polio vaccine produced thousands of cases of poliomyelitis in vaccinated individuals. (One such case was Franklin D. Roosevelt who was stricken weeks after receiving a vaccine.)

Jonas Salk didn't even begin research on the vaccine until after 1947 and Roosevelt was struck with paralysis, which may or may not have been polio, in 1921.

This is the kind of pseudo-science that is out there and scaring well-intentioned people away from doing what is rational.

Latest posts