Mystery hose? - need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
Need some quick help. I'm across town and just noticed that a hose is hanging down from the rear axle of my ST driver side. The only attached side is attached to the axle itself about 3-4 inches left of the diff. box. Any ideas what this hose is, and where it connects? Should I be concerned driving it home?

Sorry, no pictures, not at home currently.

Thanks in advance!

Nevermind. :) I found an old post explaining this problem exactly.

If I read this right the other end of the hose that is hanging down is atttached to the axle?? That's the vent hose for the diff isn't it???

K, I'm back....

I found an older post through searching about someone who had the same problem (with pictures). Turns out it was the vent hose. I had some zip ties in the storage bins behind the back seat. So, I jumped under and zip tied it up (like the post I found said to do) and headed on my way.

It's just funny because this morning we had to replace the battery connector (the metal connector on the end of the battery wire that attaches to the battery) - it had corroded and was no longer providing a constant connection. And now this happens this afternoon. It's the worst day in the history of my ST. But if this is the extent of the problems I'll have with it, I think I'll keep it. :D

This is the post that helped.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I do keep up on my general maintenance. I'm not sure how a hose breaking lose, or needing a new battery cable connector that has just corroded over time (in FL, where we are constantly in and around salt water) is not taking care of my ST. I've known for quite some time that this day would come (referring to the connector), and it came. I also cleaned my K & N and changed my oil today too.

Maybe it was not your intention to imply I do not keep up on my general maintenance, or maybe it was.

Regardless, as I hinted to before, this is the first time I've had to do so much, in addition to general maintenance, to my ST. I have no complaints.:D

Jenn, you remind me of one of my girlfriends in high school. If something was wrong with the a car. She would already be under it, while I was still thinking about it..:D

She grew up helping her dad build hot rods..:D

Thing to keep in mind when resecuring the diff vent hose, always leave enough slack so that the suspension can travel fully. Most of these hoses break when the vehicle is lifted off of the ground, the suspension travels all the way down and pulls the hose until it either breaks or comes out of whatever was securing the other end up.

Thanks for the tip l1tech! I just did a quick job of securing it for the ride home yesterday, but I'll go back under today and make sure.

And Fast Eddie - My dad was never a "car person", but he was a "why-pay-for-someone-to-do-something-for-you-when-you-can-do-it-yourself person". As a result, I'll at least try to fix something myself first before I pay to have someone do it for me. That also helps with not getting screwed over.

The funny part about this hose, that my husband and I laughed about, is that if someone with zero vehicle knowledge who didn't know what to research were to have taken it in to a mechanic for this "hanging hose", that mechanic could easily screw them over. When all that was needed was a zip tie.

Mine just fell loose the other week. I didn't notice any sign of corrosion but I did notice that the running end was only being "held" down by tape (electrical?) on some kind of clip. I fed the tube through the tape loops (which were still holding their shape) and tightened it down with the zip ties.