Mysterious noise coming from rear end

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carter Nham

Reaction score
Over the course of the last several months, I would hear a noise coming from what I assume is the suspension when I would hit a relatively large bump or pothole. Over time this is becoming more and more apparent and now I hear it whenever the body shifts. Sometimes I can feel a pop under my left foot while I'm driving when the noise appears. But I assume this is because the vibration from whatever it is that is making the noise is moving through the chassis. I checked everything up front including the upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arms, steering rack, shocks, etc. and everything seems to be tight up front. In the rear I checked the shocks, leaf springs, etc. and I can't find anything there either. I decided to rock the body myself with the truck in park and I heard a sound similar to that which I normally hear and it was coming from the rear passenger drum brake assembly. I took off the tire and drum to find I could slide the axle in and out relatively easy about 1/4". I read on some places that it could be a worn C-clip but when I took it to a shop, two of the techs that looked at it said the movement with the axle is normal. They also said there is nothing wrong with the noise that is produced and it is normal as well. I am really hesitant to drive it because the sound is becoming more and more apparent. I am kind of angry right now as I know something is worn/broken and I can't figure out what it is. I also deeply fear something is going to eventually give way and break resulting in extensive damage and expenses.

Please Help!!!

Thanks Carter

Very thorough but checking the BODY MOUNTS was not mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 1/4" side play is a bit more than mine (about 1/8"), but I don't think a noise from this would be audible from inside the cab, and it wouldn't be a "Pop".

I'm with swshawaii - check the self-disintegrating body mounts. When they wear (and they DO), the body will shift and the sheet metal will flex and make a popping noise.

OP-
I would hear a noise coming from what I assume is the suspension when I would hit a relatively large bump or pothole.

Over time this is becoming more and more apparent and now I hear it whenever the body shifts.

Sometimes I can feel a pop under my left foot while I'm driving when the noise appears.

AGCO-
These vehicles often come in with the complaint of a squeak, squawk or knock. The noise is most noticeable when turning or hitting bumps.

Some people also describe the noise like "a hammer beating under the vehicle."

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a mysterious noise coming from my rear end too, turns out it was the mexican food I ate.

:bwahaha:

Latest posts