Mysterious Button on Dash

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I had an 02 sport track and loved it up decided to move up to a 08 limited, and love it more. But since I have had it (May 2010), I have been wondering what this button is/maybe used for. I have tried and tried to figure it out, but have had no luck.

[Broken External Image]:

there are a total of 5 buttons (RtoL) [{??????} {pedals} {dr heat seat, wind heat, pas heat seat}]

Any help, I think they might have planned on something being there, but oped against it?

Thanks for any thoughts

Remember that the Gen 2 Sport Trac shared a dash with the previous generation of Explorer/Mountaineer. This button was probably for some option/feature found on the Explorer/Mountaineer, but not available on the Sport Trac.

Gavin = I have a sunroof and and the switch is up by the sunroof switch.

TrainTrac = good idea

Psycareyo = Was that an option? I hate when people move mine!

It is probably just there if you want to use it, like for neon lights, off-road lights, and any other extra stuff you put into your truck. The Ford Raptor has four of those buttons, so you can do so.

It is used on the Explorer only if I remember it is for the rear window. I have had mine

out and there is a a plug on the end of a wiring harness. Just a switch cover, nothing

to do with the ST.

It's Explorer seat memory, not and ST option. If I remember correctly I was looking through an ST brochure or web site review and it showed an Explorer interior for the ST, it had the seat memory button, not correct.

Mine doesn't have the extra wire, but when I tore the center apart to install a new radio, I noticed a wire and connector back there not hooked up to anything.

I would like to put a stock button - repurposed to turn on/off some led flashers. It would look great and blend well. How does the plug come out?

There is no button there. It is a block off plate, however on my '07 the wires do run up to the back location (Have had the console off several times working on/installing my head unit). This is the spot where the switch for the heated windshield would go. I have the same type of plate/wiring where the adjustable pedals switch is located. When I ordered my '07, those were the only 2 options (other than Navigation) that I did not get. I am 6' tall, so saw no need for adjustable pedals, and where I live, no need for a heated windshield. I think in the owners manual it shows the switches.

I checked into this "dummy button" a while back . . . When I removed the console I saw the wiring harness & wondered if I could get the factory button from Ford. Then reconfigure it for a multi-purpose aux switch while maintaining an OEM look . . . I contacted Ford & they weren't able to tell me on a Sport Trac, but when I inquired about the same button on the Explorer & Mountaineer, I was told the same as mentioned above by other members . . . I never ended up ordering one from Ford for the Explorer, but instead used a generic LED toggle from the local auto parts store. I used the constant 12v wire from the harness and I believe the wire was green. (There are actually 2, but they are simply forked/split, further up the line.)

Yeah Kevin, I think I'll buy a heated seat switch - simple on/off with a light to indicate it is on, use thinner to get rid of the white seat, and voila! A nice switch that looks OEM for my leds! Thanks for the tip on using the existing hot wire. That should make this a cake project. I'll take pic's and get my 1st wrench.

Dave

Latest posts