My turn for tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
Allright, my turn for tires. gotta look at cost though.

So, here are the options:

Cooper Discoverer ATR for 140 + tax with 50K tread warranty

Michelin X Radial LT for 670 installed with 50K tread

OEM for 706 with siping 706 installed with 40K tread

Cooper wildcat with siping 875 installed with 50K tread

Toyo Open Country with siping 900 installed with 60K tread

I need value. so as much as I would like the Toyo, I need to look at value options.

I would go with the Michelins. I have heard nothing but good things about them. As much as I like the Toyo's that price seems a little steep.

First of all, run as far away from the POS OEM GY's as possible. They're horrible!

I have Michelin LTX M&S tires on my '04 STA. If you look at the tread, they're almost identical to the X Radial LT. I love them. Great in rain, snow, and dry pavement. They ride great and aren't loud. Got over 30K on them and they still look almost brand new.

So my recommendation is to go for the Michelins.

I run Toyo's Proxes STll and luv 'em. Costs a little more but worth it in the end. I hear nothing but good about the Michelins. All you can do is try a set and see. Good luck, Bob.

Bill,,Amen...:lol:

What is good for one person, isnt for another, with the same vehicle and setup.

you said value, cooper then, haven't had that model, have had the cooper HT, highway only, and were great tires, good wet and dry handling, quiet and affordable.

Those Michelins are what I have. They're from Sam's Club. I've got 20,000 on mine and they're like new. I've never hydroplaned with them. I crawl through 10" snow like it wasn't there...no slipping at all. And they do pretty good on ice, too. They've never lost traction cornering in the rain like my Goodyears did.

Jerry, just happened to have the invoice on my Open Countrys in front of me, from Les Schwab, 827.00 not siped, though. They did very well in the rain the other day and a nice ride. But only had them for 5 months. Heard good things about the Kumho and the Michelins, too.

Thanks guys! Gonna go with the Michelins, but not siped. Figure if Pappy managed to survive the trip to Seattle from Oregon in a torrential downpour, I think they will survive here!

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Latest posts