My truck slips out of gear

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev19702

Reaction score
My 05 sport trac started having this problem for a few months now. I noticed that this only happens when the engine is still cold. I'll let the engine run for about a minute or so, put it on drive and sometimes it takes a about 5-10 seconds to go in gear. pressing on accelerator for a couple seconds, and then suddenly lurch(shudder) forward.

Sometimes it engages smoothly from park, and as I start driving, it will slip out of gear again(foot on gas and I'm not going any faster despite the RPM going higher on the tachometer), then a couple seconds later; I lurch forward again. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Last edited:
The obvious question would be... have you checked the fluid level and condition?

i agree possible fluid low, i really hope it is for ya... much cheaper.

My 05 sport trac started having this problem for a few months now. I noticed that this only happens when the engine is still cold. I'll let the engine run for about a minute or so, put it on drive and sometimes it takes a about 5-10 seconds to go in gear. pressing on accelerator for a couple seconds, and then suddenly lurch(shudder) forward.

Sometimes it engages smoothly from park, and as I start driving, it will slip out of gear again(foot on gas and I'm not going any faster despite the RPM going higher on the tachometer), then a couple seconds later; I lurch forward again. Has anyone experienced this issue?
Welcome to the Herd!
Lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums.
Assuming you've never done a Tranny MerconV ATF + Filter Change & Band Adjust?
5r55e Transmissions are NotoriousFailureItems if not serviced every 33k~50kMiles.
You'll be lucky if all you need is fresh MerconV; may be too late & need new\rebuilt Tranny.
Your profile doesn't show miles; considering 17yo 2005 ExST, best get that done ASAP,
along with changing
~ all Fluids+Filters+Hoses+Belt
~ ThermoStat+Housing+Radiator (Aluminum Recommended)
~ Plugs+Wires+OxSensors+OilPressurizedTimingTensioners
There's several Notorious Quirks & Failure Items
for the V6~4.0L~SOHC Engine + 5r55e Tranny + 1354 TransferCase + ...
that need to be addressed to keep these vehicles reliable.
Click my wiki link below for details on a 2001 ExST, most items will also apply for your 2005.

There was a recall for this.... add a bottle of their miracle fluid from the dealer.... I would service the trans and do an EPC mod.... Best thing you can do... ALSO could replace the solenoid packs too, its like $400 bucks but could help save it...

After loaning our 2nd gen ST to our son, the trans appeared to occasionally slip.
Dealer suggested tearing the trans down, but asked them to check a few things 1st.
Ended up being the shift cable was out of adjustment.

Latest posts