My Trip Home

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Left early on Saturday to run 100 miles south and see the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY since I was in the neighborhood. It ain't all that. Okay, but not worth making a special trip.

On the way home I learned how NASCAR drivers feel when you see the in-car camera shot of a wreck in front of them. I was about 45 miles south of Cincinnati on I-71 when suddenly a black Honda in the oncoming lane makes a hard left for no apparent reason and dives into the median. Luckily not much traffic behind me, I literally smoke the brakes and watch to see if he keeps it in the grass. He doesn't, and gets a little air when he comes into my lane. I'm like, "Oh (bleep), which way is he going to go?" Goes across my lane and into the ditch on my right and bounces it off the rocks. I missed him by a good 30 feet easy :grin: which isn't as much space as you'd think when I'm slowing down from 75 to 40. I figure in any confrontation involving a Honda Civic and a Sport Trac the Civic is coming out on the losing end, but I don't want to tear up my truck or kill anyone. All the traffic stops, two Asian guys get out, a little shaken, but wouldn't talk to any of us or say why they were off-roading across an Interstate. Maybe they didn't speak English, I dunno. Dude just starts calling someone on his cell phone. Meantime his engine is running so I tell him to turn it off because the car is sitting in high grass and all I get are dumb looks. Fine dude, nobody hurt and I got six hours yet to drive, I'm outta here and you ain't going anywhere anyway. We all just left them there since someone had already called 911. ("Jive-ass chump don't want no help, jive-ass chump don't get no help." -- Airplane) Nobody take this the wrong way, but if I wasn't as good a driver as I am they might both be dead and if I'm lucky I'd have a permanent imprint of sunglasses in my face from the airbag. They had no clue how close they were to buying the farm. I called the wife and told her I need to hire spotters like NASCAR drivers have. ("BRAKE, BRAKE, LEFT LEFT!!!")

So if Caymen or anybody else was heading North on I-71 and saw a wrecked Honda on the side south of Cincy, that was it.

Got 18.8 mpg on the way down and 19.1 on the way back. Not bad considering I was running 75 pretty much all the time. I think a wheel bearing is making noise now though.

And to think the worst part of my way home was some bad McDonald's. :driving: Glad to see you make it back tho for sure :supercool: and everyone else from what I can tell at least.

John,

We headed down to Russelville, KY to visit my buddy's family before heading to the Vette Museum. From there, we drove to Lexington. Today we are visiting the Kentucky Reptile Zoo before heading north towards Dayton to see the burned down "Touchdown Jesus", possibly visit the flea markets, then heading actorss I-70 to Columbus, then I-71 to I-76 to head on home.

It was awesome seeing all of you guys!!!

Tom

John, glad you're safe. We headed north a day before you and our trip was pretty uneventful. We got similar gas mileage. All in all I was happy with the Sport Trac's performance. ( I was so glad that I fixed the AC the week before). It was good to see everyone at the event. Great truck - even better owners.

Keep on Trac'n!

Yikes! Glad you're OK Jon. I left about an hour after you and don't remember seeing the Honda. It may have been recovered by then. I did see a Kentucky trooper attempt a U-turn through the grass median. I was surprised he didn't get stuck, since the median was pretty steep and he was driving a Crown Vic.

I picked up a good tailwind outside of Columbus, OH and got nearly 21mpg on the way back.

We stopped at a rest area to stretch our legs after crossing into Illinois and I checked the cargo in the bed and back seat... (I had purchased 4 wheels and tires from John Tee) well, just as I was doing this a young guy pulled up in a Dodge Durango (Illinois tags) and got out...

His first words were: "Need lots of spares for that Ford I see..." at which I said, well, I heard how the drivers were in Illinois, so I figured that quite often I would need to be driving off road to avoid them and brought along some spares just in case... :grin:

Not sure if it sank in or not, but he gave a smallish grin and walked off.

Thanks everybody! That was a close one that came out of nowhere, let me tell you. None of us had any clue why he went across the road the way he did. I wasn't TOO worried about hitting him myself, at first I was hoping he'd stay in the grass median (he didn't) and then when he came across my lanes I was just praying that he'd keep going (he did) and not come to a stop in the middle of the road. It's like, if he keeps going I can miss him. I was more concerned with getting hit from behind, although luckily traffic wasn't too heavy and everybody else saw this happening and slowed down too. Another guy who stopped said "I smell something burning", I told him "Yeah, that's my brakes". :driving:

glad you are safe....Jennifer and I just got home, we left sunday morning about 9:30 am. total trip about 1500 miles from wednesday to sunday

Boy was it fun

Latest posts