My trac is dying at idle, 6 Error codes?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Rich

Reaction score
I have an 05 V-6 Sporttrac with 71,000 miles on it, and no problems up until now.

Went to drive it earlier and it kept dying after startup. I can keep the RPM's up and drive it fine, but when I slow down or go to stop it dies.

I Have Error codes p0135,p0155,p0403,p0443,p0446, and p0511.

Os sensor heater circuit malfunction for the first 2.

Exhaust gas recirc circuit malfunction.

Evaporative Emission Control Circuit system purge control valve circuit/vent control circuit.

And I think the P0511 is a IAC idle air control issue.

Could this be a Catalytic converter gone bad?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Maybe a bad connection or broken wire?

Looking through the descriptions of those codes, they have multiple possible causes but one thing that's common to all of them is wiring problems.

Here's the list I looked at:

http://72.35.72.219/~library/16285/OBD%20codes.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Also with so many. I would pull the main ecu harness. And the main conector on the driver side valve cover. look for moisture and corrosion.

You have a idle air valve that contols idle speed both fast idle for warm up and normal that my be acting up It sets on top of the engine (silver cylinder). You could try cleaning the connections to it and see of that helps. I dont know of a way to test. My ST was doing the same thing and I just replaced the valve and it started idling as its should.

Chances are that one of your oxygen sensors has a shorted heater. The main power feed wire for the heaters in the oxygen sensors also is the same power feed wire for all the other things that you are having problems with. Another thing to check for would be the wiring harness underneath that goes to the oxygen sensors, I have seem them rub on driveshafts or get pulled out by something hitting the underside of the vehicle and short out.

re. "My ST was doing the same thing and I just replaced the valve and it started idling as its should."

Me, too, for the idle air control valve. I think it's common. But I didn't get all those error codes -- in fact I got none when my IAC needed cleaning or replacement. I just had the stalling, which went away when I cleaned the IAC. The stalling recurred a year later, and then it went away again when I replaced the IAC.

If all those error codes appeared at once, I don't think the problem is a sticky IAC valve. It's more likely to be a wire or connector that's common to all of those sensors, valves and heaters. Just my guess, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies! The 2 O2 sensor error codes are not showing up today only the 4 others.

Didn't see any broken or loose connections. I did buy a new IAC valve for $40, but went to put it on and the connection on it is pointing opposite of mine so the cable won't reach. They ordered me another one that is a different part #. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what to do. May have to take it in to a repair shop, one I checked with wanted $85 just to hook there diagnostic machine up to it.

Fuse 32 "Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) sensors

and solenoids" was blown in the fuse box under the hood.

Not sure why, or if it will happen again. Thanks again for the help!

You need to reread my post...you have an oxygen sensor that is going bad. The heater in the sensor is shorting to ground and casuing the fuse to blow...yes it will happen again

Latest posts