My New You Tube - Virginia Can't Drive!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
After moving here from up north, I have come to the determination that Virginian's Can't Drive worth a damn! I have been told it's because we have people here from all over the country, or that it's kids...but in reality it's not. It's just that they have replaced southern hospitality with arrogance & stupidity.

In this light, I have opted to roll with a dash cam (also because I know eventually I will need proof in court). So...presented for the first time for your amusement are a few videos I have done so far.

I will be getting a HD cam for this setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from another road trip from Wisconsin to Texas and back. Only in Minnesota I found people driving in the left lane. The right lane is completely open and they still cruise in the left lane. Even when people come up from behind to pass, they stay in the left lane.

Only in Minnesota I found people driving in the left lane. The right lane is completely open and they still cruise in the left lane. Even when people come up from behind to pass, they stay in the left lane.

Same here in Florida on the turnpike...

Les.

The Fla. Turnpike is a joy compared to the Palmetto Expressway. (six lanes each way of pucker time)

It's everywhere. When I have to drive through Atlanta, I pop in the soundtrack of Top Gun. Plug it in a hour out of Atlanta and it finished up about a half-hour out of Atlanta. Sometimes, as in life, you have to go from Defensive Driving to Offensive Driving.

:grin::grin::driving: :angry::angry::driving: :cheeky::driving:

I like the Top Gun soundtrack idea. Atlanta has an unspoken minimum speed limit of 70 in the right lanes, 80 in the left. And don't leave more than one car length between you and the person in front of you or somebody may try to jump in front of you.

Atlanta is NO representation of the rest of the state, though. Georgia is actually quite pleasant. Atlanta has been infiltrated by all the yankees whose states have been steadily losing jobs since the 80s. Hard to say where the bad drivers are from since its nearly impossible to find a "native" Atlantan.

Only in Minnesota I found people driving in the left lane. The right lane is completely open and they still cruise in the left lane. Even when people come up from behind to pass, they stay in the left lane.

If there are multiple lanes, we should be able to use all of them. One of my pet peeves in MN are the slow drivers that don't stay in the right lane.:banghead:

To everyone interested, I uploaded a video today.

If you have a u tube a/c, subscribe to the channel so

you can get an email when I upload videos.

Eventually there will be a stupendous one! :driving:

Virginians have the most personalized license plates too!

There are crazy drivers everywhere.

All Americans need to learn how to drive in Germany.

You use the left lane to pass and get you butt back over or

you will be toast!:banana:

Virginians need to learn how to make laws that make sense.

On a 2 lane interstate, if a cop pulls someone over, all traffic has to get into the other lane, or get busted itself. Suddenly forcing all traffic from 2 lanes to 1 has massive accident potential.

Gotta love Virginian law. I'm sure other states have it too, but only Virginia is infamous for enforcing this law to scatological levels.

Just another reason that

a) Interstates need at least 3 lanes per direction.

b) Cops should just mail you a ticket unless you're flagrantly endangering the lives of others, which mere speeding does not do. That's what the speeding cameras do, right?

Hey Andy, You can start a new web site and call it " You Boob " I want first dibs on buying stock and we can all become millionaires!

I have to agree with cabrera i have lived in Northern Virginia my entire life and driving here is on most days an adventure. It seems that most people just dont care to be civil anymore on the road.

What type of camer are you using and how do you have it set up? I would like to start using a camera as well to CMA.

i have lived in Northern Virginia my entire life and driving here is on most days an adventure.

That's not exactly fair--NOVA isn't like the rest of Virginia, it might as well be DC...and no one can drive in DC.

BTW, is candidly taping people driving and then posting it online without their consent even legal? Recording phone calls is not, and that's really the same argument, so I wonder.

re: My New You Tube - Virginia Can't Drive! by budfromballgroundMember Profile,6/17/2010 23:29 ET

Virginians have the most personalized license plates too!

Bud

That's true too. I mean if you're going to drive like an idiot, you would think they wouldn't do it IN THEIR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD & with personalized plates to boot.

Back in NYC you do that & they will find your car & trash it right in your driveway LOL

re: My New You Tube - Virginia Can't Drive! by ashamanMember Profile,6/18/2010 08:09 ET

Ashaman

What type of camera are you using and how do you have it set up? I would like to start using a camera as well to CMA.

Right now I am using a $29 cheapy flip type camcorder I bought at Walmart & a Panavise 809 suction cup mount. I leave it in the truck all the time.

I do plan to pick up an HD cam for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, is candidly taping people driving and then posting it online without their consent even legal?

On a public street or in a public space I think it is legal I dont know that for sure but in my case I just want to have proof if I am involved in an accident and if needed a judge can decide if I can use the tape or not. Given the number of bad driver videos available on youtube I dont think there is a problem with it.

On a 2 lane interstate, if a cop pulls someone over, all traffic has to get into the other lane, or get busted itself. Suddenly forcing all traffic from 2 lanes to 1 has massive accident potential.

Gotta love Virginian law. I'm sure other states have it too, but only Virginia is infamous for enforcing this law to scatological levels.

In Wisconsin, you'll often see two squad cars at a traffic stop. One to write the offender a ticket and the other to go after the first driver who fails to move over. IIRC, it's a $300 ticket.

In Minnesota, they've actually set up stings to nail people who refuse to move over. A trooper will stop a driver near an entrance ramp for a minor violation like failure to signal lane change. While he's busy, a line of other troopers and deputies sitting on the entrance ramp will take turns going after people who refuse to move over for the first trooper. They'll do this for an entire shift and by the end of the day, a hundred or so people will have been cited.

I have a two-way police/EMS/fire radio in my truck from my days of being an EMS chief. Yesterday, on the interstate a couple miles from me, the Wisconsin State Patrol and some county deputies spent an entire day nailing people for doing 72 in a 65 mph zone.

One thing you'll notice in Wisconsin. Very few residents speed. All the people you see blowing by have out-of-state plates. There's a reason why the locals don't speed. It's because they know that Wisconsin cops take speed enforcement very seriously.

I've driven in several parts of the country and... New York City is unerving but drivers allow you to be an a@#$%^e without a thought. San Diego isn't too bad, just too many cars on the road, Colorado, watch for falling rocks and speeding drivers. Tennessee, those truckers up in the mountains will kill you and never stop(they are really moving in the twisties) Florida... need I say more? Buit here in New Jersey we have the running of the Garden State Gran Prix twice a day. If you stood on the shoulder it would look just like a NASCAR race at Daytona, bumper to bumper, as fast as you can go in all lanes. This concept was conceived to thwart our state police as they can not lock on to a "single car" with any form of detection. This is extremely effective as traffic flows right by them at speeds around 90 to 100 mph.(no kidding!) Its not until after rush hour that you see people pulled over. (mostly New Yorkers) BC :driving::driving:

In MN, you have to move over, or if you are unable to (i.e., Semi along side of you); you must slow down and move as close to the center line as possible. It is for the officer's safety. too many accidents of cop cars getting clipped when they have someone pulled over. I see nothing wrong with the law and it should be federal law IMO

Latest posts