My 4x4 issue...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike T 3

Reaction score
I had just tested out the 4x4 on my ST. i find something really strange with it...

mind you, that i bought the ST about a 3 months now. I had tested the 4x4 of it before deciding and there was nothing i noticed about it.. untill today...

when i am turning, (on 4x4) my wheel seems to lock up.well not fully locking up but then its not smooth at all. as if, something is tight upon turning. if you have the wheel on a just right angel... its hops as you make you turn...

any suggestion? your help is appreciated...

That is normal, the steering becomes tight when making turns. Don't force it in turns, and go slowly. I turn mine off a bit before I need to make a turn.

It will not be noticed while driving straight, only while turning.

hey hey hey... i dont use the 4x4 on dry conditions... i simply havent use it at all till today.. when i felt like playing with it.. thats when i notice the "so call problem".

but since you convince me its ok.. then ill take your words for it...

thanks,

Mike

Whoa!

Okay - here's why ...

The front and rear axles follow different radii when turning, therefore, they follow different length paths. This requires the drive shafts to turn at different speeds (or a different number of rotations for the duration of the turn, depending on your perspective).

When engaged, the transfer case (well, the gears and such inside) transfers power to the front and rear drive shafts equally with no differentiation or slippage. The result of the front and rear axles traveling different length paths and the function of the transfer case is what some term "wrap-up". Basically, the two drive shafts are locked together by the transfer case (as one), but want to turn at different speeds. This can't happen, so they bind (or worse).

On high-traction surfaces, one of two things will happen - the car will stop, or something will break.

BTW - don't use the 4WD on dry or high-traction surfaces (sorry).

whew... im glag we got the whole dry surface out of the way...

wait, did i mention when i say playing, i meant off roading?

in mud

in MUD!!!

Latest posts