mushy breaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim meadows

Reaction score
Hey, recently When I start off from driving the break pedel works then goes mushy and to the floor and actually eases me out in the intersection or area I in al little further. Fluid is good no noise on breaks, breaks seem to be okay most part of day but got me worried. Any ideas?

Your brakes may need bleeding or your master cylinder is failing.

You need to upgrade your profile. So we know about your trac. on this page.

BTW,,,,,,:welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the caliper slide pins get rusted up. This keeps the caliper from contacting equally on both sides of the rotor. Most times the pin gets seized in the caliper and if you can't get them out to clean and re-grease, you may have to buy new calipers. Had a similar instance happen to me. They pedal would get almost to the floor, but everything appeared "normal" Bob

to add on a bit more to:banana: bob:banana:>>>>> a new set of pads with excess coating on the tabs also will give the feeling of musshy brake that was the cause of my accident last sept ember

Aloha Tim,

Lots of things can cause this. All of the above is possible. The cheapest and easiest is like Eddie said is bleed the brakes. The fluid will absorb moisture over time. When the brakes get hot the moisture turns to steam and will compress, not allowing the hydraulics to push the pads. New fluid is not to expensive and easy to put in.

Good luck Ed

May not be your case here unless you have high mileage. Brake fluid can get old and eventually cause brake pedal fade in a high mileage vehicle. I had the problem on another vehicle and pumped no air when I tried bleeding so I opened the bleeders pumped it all out, added new fluid and did bleeding operation again. That did it, good as new.