Muffler Design

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Childs

Reaction score
With the price of the muffler that I really wanted going up nearly $40 and with the price of my second option being nearly $60 cheaper, I have decided to change my muffler of choice. Which brings up the question; does the size of the muffler housing affect the sound significantly? The two I am looking at are the Magnaflow 5"x8" oval and the 5"x11" oval, but I have no idea how they will sound, and any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

With the magnaflow, it is already a straight through design ie. you can look in one end and see out the other. So I think the shorter length may make a differnce but I'm not sure how much. If you have your stock exhaust system you could leave the resonator on and that would help to deaden the sound as well.

Hope that helps

Mike

With the magnaflow being strait trhu. The lager the housing and the longer the housing, the queiter it will be. There will be more sound deading material around the internal flow tube. There should not be any performance difference, because of the strait thru design.

Magnaflows are pretty quiet anyways.. i have them on my corvette and had them on my 94 lightning.. i had the 5x11 on my 01 ST.. it was pretty quiet.. if your looking for rumble then flowmaster is the way to go... don't get me wrong i like the magnaflows.. no baffles means better performance...but flowmasters sound much better if your into the rumble and if your looking for rumble you will be disappointed with the magnaflow...

troy