Muffler dB levels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I third this motion. I'll be rolling in the Trac with the windows down, and all is good until a harley decides to roll by, letting its presence be known for a half mile before and after it due to having pipes which I could believe exist for the sole reason of amplifying the sound,

Loud Pipes Saves Lives

Loud Pipes don't Save Lives.

Where is the logic to that? Why then doesn't everything put out a thunderous roar, since no one wants to die?

Is it to help combat the threat presented by a collision with a larger vehicle? If so, then my ST should belt out a thunderous roar whenever I use the interstate system, as my ST would be turned into a tin can upon collision with one of the many interstate-traveling tractor trailers.

If loudness saved lives, by avoiding collisions, then no one would hit loud vehicles like garbage trucks, school buses, diesel trucks, trucks with loud exhaust...or harleys. Clearly harleys are still being hit, or we wouldn't have that catchy propaganda phrase, so loudness fails to stop collisions, and thus save lives.

With the windows up and the radio on, I could easily miss hearing a siren, and certainly a harley. Unless you want to be loud enough to overpower the radio and the muffling effect of glass, the loud pipes will have little to no effect on the majority of people who drive with their windows up.

If loud pipes REALLY saved motorcyclist lives, then why don't the asiatic bikes sport them? A kawasaki ninja sounds like an electric weedwhacker, and I have never seen any report that says that it gets in more collisions than a harley.

Finally, if loud pipes are really lifesavers for motorcyclists, then why does the state-sanctioned Basic Rider Course for the motorcycle license in the great State of Maryland use motorcycles that are not overly loud?

Go to the Magnaflow website and listen to the videos they have for the system you can put on your truck. I did a Mag cat-back and at idle its no louder than stock. The same goes for cruising at highway speeds, you don't know its there until you nail the "loud pedal" Acceleration has a nice mellow tone if you act resonably, even my wife doesn't complain...

Latest posts