Mudding

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went mudding for the first time about 2 weeks ago My Sport Trac is a 4x2. Ever since I did when I take off from a red light or stop sign my ST misses really bad but once I get going than I am OK or if I hold the brake and get the RPM's up than take off I am OK also I didn't hit anything under the truck i dont think.

There was mud was all under the hood. I cleaned it off with a high pressure wash and it seemed to have gotten worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Shawn

:driving:

you more than likely have some water affecting some circuits and/or spark plugs... Pressure washing should be done carefully, on a warm engine. The heat will help dry it out... For yours, I would fully warm it up and let it idle for 15 minute, then shut it off and let it sit. Eventually, it'll dry out... BTDT

Since it's been two weeks and it's still doing it I would have to lean towards mud and or dirt in the air filter/ box/ tube. I go muddin' pretty often and I always get mud/ water in there. When I get home thats the fist thing I clean out thoroughly, it might have even made it's way into the TB. Take the air intake tube stock/ aftermaket off and clean it out really good, clean the MAF off as well, there's how-to's in the projects setion. Also check your trans fluid just to be safe. Let us know what you find.

:banana:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
STanner That is how I always wash my engine

Jerry Garner Yea that was the first thing I checked is the Air box I have a K&N in the air box and I even cleaned the K&N also i will try to clean the MAF.

Fluid in the Trans to good!

Thanks

Shawn

:driving:

Check the oil, IAC- it could've gotten all the way in there and mucked up that as well. Get under your truck and check the gas tube from the gas cap to the fuel tank, see how mudded up it is under there. You'd be amazed how much and where mud can get into places you don't want it to. That's why I've slowed down on th muddin', tired of workin on a truck with mud caked under it and on everthing evertime I have to work on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check all the plug wires connections at the coil and plugs.... I bet 1 is loose..

Todd Z

If you have mud clogging the vent tube beside your gas filler neck then yes but normally when that happens it means your tank is full unless it's happening more often and before the tank is full. It's kind of a Pain in the ass to take the filler neck off with the bed on to check it but it can and might need to be done.

Latest posts